Picture of 65-68 4-spd transmission crossmember

IF i get up to work on the car in the next weekend I do. One in the car on the lift, and one on the floor.

I think the only difference is in the rubber cushion. I did the swap and I know I used the 727 crossmrmber. If memory serves I adapted the 727 rubber isolator rather that hunt down the proper one.

I concur with rd92west....I was able to find a NOS isolator, any moons ago.

I think the only difference is in the rubber cushion. I did the swap and I know I used the 727 crossmrmber. If memory serves I adapted the 727 rubber isolator rather that hunt down the proper one.

@rd92west ; the 'standard 727' crossmember would probably work with a 70-74 tailshaft on an 833, as the crossmember mounting pad is in the same position. I was just wondering if you had a pre-70 C-body and you would be 'compelled' to using a pre-70 833 transmission with the correct transmission mounting pad located further back on the tailshaft wrt to the 727. See attached picture of the 'crossover' tailhousing for late 69-early 70 with both transmission mounting pad locations (picture from Brewers website). I did notice two additional holes in the standard 727 crossmember behind the 727 mounting location. Looking at the crossmember it looks easy enough to modify it myself. Just wondering what the factory did.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Screenshot_20240103_094305_Samsung Internet.jpg

@rd92west ; the 'standard 727' crossmember would probably work with a 70-74 tailshaft on an 833, as the crossmember mounting pad is in the same position. I was just wondering if you had a pre-70 C-body and you would be 'compelled' to using a pre-70 833 transmission with the correct transmission mounting pad located further back on the tailshaft wrt to the 727. See attached picture of the 'crossover' tailhousing for late 69-early 70 with both transmission mounting pad locations (picture from Brewers website). I did notice two additional holes in the standard 727 crossmember behind the 727 mounting location. Looking at the crossmember it looks easy enough to modify it myself. Just wondering what the factory did.

View attachment 636524
I was curious about this, so I looked in the '65 parts manual and they list just one crossmember. Since you mention a range (65-68) I thought I'd also check a later parts manual. The '68 I have is missing that section, so I used the '67 instead and again, they list just one crossmember.

cmember.jpg

cmember2.jpg

@Big_John ; thanks! I actually forgot that I too have a 1965 parts book haha. Then perhaps the crossmember can accommodate both mounting pad positions, or at least should have the provisions for both positions?
I've never done this kind of swap with the C-bodies, but my experiences with B-bodies was that the crossmember was just flipped for the different automatic transmissions. ie. 904 to 727 where the 904 small block combo got swapped to a big block with a 727.

Honestly, I've never seen that housing with the 2 mounts. They did change the mounting location in 1970 so if you are using a post 1970 A833, that may be an issue in a '65. I'm not that familiar with the different A833 trans, so I'm not the best to give advice on that. .

View attachment 636524
I got a rebuilt trans from Brewers.
66 to 69 b body

This is the modification that I did.
My sketching skills are limited.
I added on to the metal top part
20240103_112258.jpg

To weld it I put the rubber part in water.
it seemed to go OK.
I ran it for 2 summers.
Last summer I did a engine swap and closely inspected the trans mount. It looked fine so I put it back in.

I find the original part number is 2533 198
I searched the number and it took me to "imperial services" and this mount.
Says 66 to 68 4 speed c body
Thier part number IS-106
$129 plus s+h
I couldn't determine is this part is available.

IS-105.jpg

Last edited:
@rd92west ; thanks for the info. The setup of the metal bracket on the rubber isolator and how it extends towards the back of the car explains at least to me why the transmission crossmember has the two additional holes as marked up in attached picture. Those would give access to the bolts to fasten the metal bracket of the isolator to the transmission. At least those holes would be there for 66-68. I don't recall if 69 would have these holes, but it should not be a problem to drill them if they are not there.

Your sketch was perfectly clear, by the way ;)

Screenshot_20240103_203817_Google.jpg

Back