Police, mixed up VIN and a lot of trouble...

vdk2010

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of a mixed up VIN from the Factory?

I was pulled over by the Police yesterday for a "General traffic control".....

They checked the VIN on the dash and fendertag but told me they need to see a not "replaceable" stamped number on the chassis. After a lot of discussion, I ripped of a part of the trunk seal to unvail the stamped number and voila they found something to hold me for almost an hour... Two digits of the stamped VIN are mixed up. "CO" instead of "OC" on the tags.
Finally they let me go, but we had an hour of discussions and them back checking with the system.

How can this be?
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

The model year and plant order are interchanged on the body stampings compared to the fender tag and VIN plate. That is the way Ma did it for some reason............................

I have seen a couple of mis-stamped vin tags, one was missing the engine code all together. That being said yours are as they should be.

Have you ever heard of a mixed up VIN from the Factory?

I was pulled over by the Police yesterday for a "General traffic control".....

They checked the VIN on the dash and fendertag but told me they need to see a not "replaceable" stamped number on the chassis. After a lot of discussion, I ripped of a part of the trunk seal to unvail the stamped number and voila they found something to hold me for almost an hour... Two digits of the stamped VIN are mixed up. "CO" instead of "OC" on the tags.
Finally they let me go, but we had an hour of discussions and them back checking with the system.

How can this be?
View attachment 82036 View attachment 82037 View attachment 82038 View attachment 82039

Wait a second... they need to have some kind of probable cause to put you through all that. Was there a report of a stolen 70 Imperial in the area? Were you driving without a license plate?

Also, the burden of proof is on them to show the car is stolen, not upon you to prove it isn't! What average person knows where in the hell to find a hidden, stamped VIN?

You could have refused their questions and forced them to charge you. Then slap them with a nice civil suit for false arrest.

Not that it makes a difference one way or another but this happened across the pond. The laws in Germany should be the same as ours but are they??

The '70 Imp that he was in was obviously a driver...:poke:

This makes me wonder what would have happened if you were driving an earlier car that didn't have the VIN stamped on the body.... or the fender tag was missing.

I think the lesson learned here might be to document how Chrysler did their numbering system and have it in the car for such occasions.

Not that it makes a difference one way or another but this happened across the pond. The laws in Germany should be the same as ours but are they??

I know... I was kinda using sarcasm to make a point.

All the so-called smart people keep saying we need to make the US more like Europe. Eliminate all the differences in laws between the states, create a stronger Federal government that tells us who can use what bathroom, etc.

I'm saying be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

Back from another cruise :) Thanks for all the answers. First, no they don't need a reason. They can pull you over just becasue they want to. My guess is, in the first place they wanted to check out such nice car ;) Maybe they were sceptical because it has dutch plates on it cruising through the deeps of middle germany?! Who knows, they haven't told me.

The problem is, Chrysler did it that way doesn't count for them. The other option I had was to let the car hauled away by the police and only get it back by proofing it's a correct VIN or proof plausible that Chrysler did it that way back in the days. It's not my car and I didn't wanted to try all the other options I hay had.

Would be nice if anyone knows a ligit source where this is explained. Maybe this will help me next time!

Same at Finland. Police can stop you if they want to. Just to check driving license etc.
Finland you have to stamp vin into frame or other part of car where it cant be removed, usually front frame/firewall. Dash vin, fender tag aint enough.

ve must have ze papiers.

yoo must produce ze papiers unt ve ask for ze papiers.

eff that damn sausage eaters.
The crazy think is that they are doing it here but cal them "DUI Checkpoints and Licence Checks". Whenever they announce that they will be having one I say the Gestapo is out. I don't care how much good comes out of them they are just wrong, I don't even see how they are legal.

The VIN on my registration/title had a typo, it was all cleared up when I had it transferred to my name. I did have multiple Factory pieces of literature to support the correction. There was an "L" that should have been a 7.

Alan

Back