Power Locks question

Ross Wooldridge

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is for those who've done some dismantling of our beloved C body cars...

As I study my various power lock harnesses, I am coming to the conclusion that power lock harnesses were entirely separate from power window harnesses.

Am I right?

On 65s and up, when the car had power windows (and vents) AND power locks, were the power locks harness independant of the power windows harness?

If so, where did the lock harness's big plug go in the cowl/door opening?

Did the wiring then join up with power window harness and go into the door sharing the metal "J hook" conduit channel that protects the power window wiring between the front door and the cowl, or did it have its' own "J hook" conduit?

Any insight and photos would truly help.

Thanks and Cheers to all.

I can't answer those questions, but if you are thinking about adding power locks, I've done it using a Spaal kit. I looked at the wiring needed, relays (I have a set if you want them) and the actuators and I decided the aftermarket was the way to go. It works great.... even mounted to the existing holes in the doors.

I pulled a set of power locks out of the 73 NYB here and the wiring was in the same harness as the electric windows. I had to cut the wiring harness open to separate the wires of the two systems. Being that there was only one wiring harness coming out of the doors, yes they shared the same J conduit. I don't have any pics as the systems are now long gone.

Thanks gentlemen!

Thanks for your generous offer Big John, much appreciated. As it stands I've got a pile of the electrical gear NOS and two harnesses and all the rest of the stuff. If I do go ahead it'll be with factory stuff.

Thanks for your insights Wolffen re the 73 setup. That's what I would have thought too, but my two harnesses which are earlier iterations tell me differently... I find this curious, unless one could order a car with ONLY power locks and not power windows...

Anyone have experience with 65-68 systems?

Last edited:
Well, neither system was frequently installed in the "way back when", so it's entirely possible they built both as stand alone add-ons and that's what you've acquired..... at least to my twisted way of thinking.

Thanjs! That's my thought line too... that being said, I'm trying to find out if when ordered with both, the harness was all in one or not in '66.

Hopefully someone can clarify.

This had me curious, so I looked in my 70 parts manual and listed there are power window harnesses both with and without door locks. It was in the body section (Sec 23 in mine) and I found it first in the index.

I assume you have one, but in case you don't.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books

I also looked at the ordering info they had on the Hamtramck site. Page 4 and the second page of the pricing bulletin.
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1965 Chrysler & Plymouth Ordering Information

They show the electric locks being only available on 4 door cars, but nothing about power windows being a prerequisite. It does show you have to order power windows to also order power vents.

Thinking about it, I've seen a lot of cop cars with no A/C and power locks.

I knew they were available (but rare) on 2 door cars at least up to '69, as I've seen them. Just didn't know I would need the info regarding the harnesses until now or I would have taken more pics and notes! C'est la vie!!

Edit - wow! Thanks Big John, that registry link is a very cool amount of information. So, as it seems, locks were available without ordering windows, which makes it stand to reason that the harness was separate. I still need to figure out if it was bundled into the P Window harness body plug at the cowl when so equipped...

Last edited:
Back