Proper Cutting of Rear Quarters?

Mr onetwo

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I was hoping to get some advice on where to chop the quarters on my 1968 Chrysler Newport. We are going to the junkyard (Ayottes) that has many C-body's soon and I am hoping I can get some sheetmetal to repair my vert. I want to take as little as necessary to keep costs down.I have a MIG and a plasma cutter. Here are some photos of the existing situation.Thanks!

DSCN1180.jpg

DSCN1182.jpg

DSCN1183.jpg

It would probably be easier to decide if the original panels were stripped to see the real condition of the steel underneath. You would hate to short-change yourself by getting too small a piece.

Agree with 300rag, strip off the trim on the quarters and hit the metal with a sanding disk to the outside of the rusted areas and see just how far the rust has gone.When you have worked out what is rusty and what isn't, then use a marker pen to trace the outside area about say an inch to two inches outside the rusted edge. then you have a good idea how much metal you want to pick up out of a parts car. Obviously pick up more metal than you think you will need, it doesn't hurt to have excess.

For cutting purposes, go big on the donor car. I took trunk extensions, trunk lip and all when I cut mine. Yours looks to be in the lowers, it never hurts to have extra factory sheet metal laying around for patches.

Go about exposing the rust on your car by grinding but I wouldn't actually start cutting until you have the doner parts on the floor next to you.

Back