Proposal for Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined this forum to tap into the great information and experience that is available here and I would expect that everyone else did the same. Professional sports and so many other areas of our hobbies have been ruined by political division.
Keep this forum about what we love, our c-bodies, otherwise change the name to something else.

When you in particular said "**** Joey" in one of the last posts before the thread was taken down, what do you think and one other member did as well?

Did I fly off, maybe, but you should expect knee-jerk reactions when policies and practices are suddenly changed with no warning or explanation. Besides, my post in no way harmed joey or anyone else. And no, I'm not suggesting that personal attacks should be common or ultimately accepted. But calling people on their crap is different.
I despise any kind of member rant thread, of which I believe exist in the gold member section. That's just a passive-aggressive, cowardly attack on someone. (I'm not accusing you of participating, but I don't know either way)

We tried politics on this site for some time now and saw all the hate sprewed forth everywhere - what is any good reason for having it on a car site? Most of us I assume are sick and tired of politics everywhere.

Some of you guys that want the politics back only post virtually all the time on that subject and nothing on cars - you can't find someplace else to go?

Get a life...................................

This site has been so much more enjoyable without so many threads being invaded by that subject by those who just can't obey directives, covid or not. Letting politics back on this site would only deteriorate over time just as it did in the past.

It needs to be gone forever - no place on a car site. We don't even discuss A, B or E bodies here. But politics????????????????????????

Yes I get burned out on politics, and have chosen to not participate in some, but I still would like to have the ability to discuss topics. Clearly you dislike the talk of politics, but I'm curious how you feel about that limiting your EV/climate change topics and discussions as they are political in nature. Do you also want all instances of "climate change" to be banned? That is a very political topic that is an interest of yours.

Last edited:
An “ignore thread” button would solve a lot of the easily offended types problems.
If they used it!

Why is there a political section on B/A bodies,but not here?

Because those sites had them from day 1 - for the longest time this site didnt need it.. It was small and tight knit enough that you guys were fine without it. But as this site has grown, and the political climate has changed, its become much more of an issue.

Why should it be any different for here?

Because I've learned lessons on those other sites. One is, the politics forum can be a real PITA and can cause problems outside of the politics forum.

... Clearly you dislike the talk of politics, but I'm curious how you feel about that limiting your EV/climate change topics and discussions as they are political in nature. Do you also want all instances of "climate change" to be banned? That is a very political topic that is an interest of yours.

Therein lies the problem. The definition of politics is a very ambiguous one. What is political to one, is not to someone else.

Because those sites had them from day 1 - for the longest time this site didnt need it.. It was small and tight knit enough that you guys were fine without it. But as this site has grown, and the political climate has changed, its become much more of an issue.

Because I've learned lessons on those other sites. One is, the politics forum can be a real PITA and can cause problems outside of the politics forum.

The America thread became undebateable . The more Fred, myself and a few others posted factual information the more three in particular handles mocked without an honest debate. No discussion, minimal input and no argument.
Two guys put up an honest attempt at a disagreement that I can recall. As for those three handles I'm still waiting for a hundred questions to be answered. Those questions only provoked attacks.

Thanks Joey, hence my comment back in post #2 which seems to be written between your current lines!
I thought Joey was dead set against this here as it seems he has his hands full enough dealing with BBO's political forum? I didn't know ABO had a political as I only lurk in the /6 section. Personally I don't care as I'm getting burned out on Forums, Groups, etc. as well as the I-net for the lack of civility and stupidity of people in all of it.

where did I say gold member section?
Sorry, I just assumed because of your response to jct's comment and your previous move of the America thread to the gold section. Glad to see you think it doesn't have to be that way. BTW consistent and firm implementation of my suggestions will make most of your concerns a non-issue. What about a trial period to year end and then review where we are?

Sorry, I just assumed because of your response to jct's comment and your previous move of the America thread to the gold section. Glad to see you think it doesn't have to be that way. BTW consistent and firm implementation of my suggestions will make most of your concerns a non-issue. What about a trial period to year end and then review where we are?

Honestly, my biggest concern is spill over. I can contain the politics in its own forum, what becomes difficult is dealing with members who build up an animosity in the politics forum and then start sniping at each other in car threads.

Honestly, my biggest concern is spill over. I can contain the politics in its own forum, what becomes difficult is dealing with members who build up an animosity in the politics forum and then start sniping at each other in car threads.

There’s your answer.

You’ve also lost a lot of members and good content for your web-site because of the “spillage” that divisive forums produce.

It’s s car site, not a social club for middle aged and over white guys with huge chips on their shoulders.

It seems that most "political" discussions end up demonizing those that might agree with a particular orientation or seeking to defend the actions of high-level government officials, as if they really need defending as we watch their actions and moves. Yet some feel it's their "life's work, of sorts" to defend the people they voted for or make sure WE know whom they voted for. BTAIM

How about some discussions about the use of taxpayer money by legislative officials? Or why is it that the national deficiet is only an issue when ONE party is not in power, but is not a constant concern by BOTH parties, instead? Or how are we going to pay for the future infrastructure needs, as putting an additional driving lane (each direction) on many Interstate highways due to increased traffic amounts? Or how the government, starting with local municipalities, might start using a "zero-base budget" for a 5 year period to really determine and quantify their real needs and what each item really costs, with the end resultr hopefully being a more business-based approch to budgeting and related tax levels? If something doesn't work, figure out why, fix it, or just don't do it.

Let there be some quality discussions in areas such as these, or similar, so that we might really solve some problems rather than not. Members from different parts of the country could "compare noites", too. Building our knowledge base in the process, so that we might gain a better understanding of things. Just as we do when we post about C-body Chrysler products and our experiences with them.

There might even be a post about how many types/designations of "Conservative Republican" there might be, when two or more of them are running for the same position. As they seek to differentiate themselves from the other
conservative Republicans in the race.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Just some thoughts,

Nice idea - and frankly it's what is wrong with the country today. Everyone personalizes things. Almost inevitably any discussion today gets off of actually solving anything and gets into name calling and digging in to the furthest left or right position. Compromise, facts and respect for other options is virtually gone today when it comes to politics.

Did I fly off, maybe, but you should expect knee-jerk reactions when policies and practices are suddenly changed with no warning or explanation. Besides, my post in no way harmed joey or anyone else. And no, I'm not suggesting that personal attacks should be common or ultimately accepted. But calling people on their crap is different.
I despise any kind of member rant thread, of which I believe exist in the gold member section. That's just a passive-aggressive, cowardly attack on someone. (I'm not accusing you of participating, but I don't know either way)

Yes I get burned out on politics, and have chosen to not participate in some, but I still would like to have the ability to discuss topics. Clearly you dislike the talk of politics, but I'm curious how you feel about that limiting your EV/climate change topics and discussions as they are political in nature. Do you also want all instances of "climate change" to be banned? That is a very political topic that is an interest of yours.

I could care less to discuss climate change with guys on this site.

In my view, it is very poor judgment to say what you did to the owner of the site who has bent over backward to put up with all this crap at all. There is no excuse for it IMO. Period.

Everyone personalizes things. Almost inevitably any discussion today gets off of actually solving anything and gets into name calling and digging in to the furthest left or right position..

I'm just surprised that all the morons that have their ad's posted & shared in the Craigslist Moron's thread haven't come forward and complained yet? LOL

The America thread became undebateable . The more Fred, myself and a few others posted factual information the more three in particular handles mocked without an honest debate. No discussion, minimal input and no argument.
Two guys put up an honest attempt at a disagreement that I can recall. As for those three handles I'm still waiting for a hundred questions to be answered. Those questions only provoked attacks.

I have tried many times to discuss matters with you and spent more time than I should have to explain my views clearly. But most of the time I only got red Xs from you without any cogent response to my points.

Fred actually did try to respond to my issues but I found myself unable to agree with his views and felt I was getting no where.

So now I don't want to waste any more time on politics and just want to see car stuff, or I am on the verge of leaving the site. I realize you probably hope I do, but I really don't care anymore. This country is badly divided and in a dangerous place IMO, and so many guys don't see it.

Also, for the record, I am not a liberal in the sense of the word many of the guys on this site try to characterize me as. I really oppose a lot of the views of the left and also a lot of the stuff on the right. The best description of my views is that I am an independent who leans left when it comes to the environment and the party that is more successful in fixing the issues in this country effectively. Neither party, though, is very good any more......................

When I was younger, it was fun to argue "Democrat vs. Republican", but the make-up of the parties and legisltors where a bit different, back then, compared to now. In more recent times, I've spent far too much time trying to explain some things (non-political) to those "who came to the party late". In that case, the person I was PM-ing with already has his mind made up, so that was that. I don't really regret what I did, but I did determine to not do anything like that again. Too much time invested with very little real returns from it.

If one might believe (to whatever degree) in the concept of "pre-destination", then what happens, happens, whether we might like it or not. Although we might have a little control, we're not in complete control.

Y'all enjoy! 10-10 listening in . . .
CBODY67

I have tried many times to discuss matters with you and spent more time than I should have to explain my views clearly. But most of the time I only got red Xs from you without any cogent response to my points.

Fred actually did try to respond to my issues but I found myself unable to agree with his views and felt I was getting no where.

So now I don't want to waste any more time on politics and just want to see car stuff, or I am on the verge of leaving the site. I realize you probably hope I do, but I really don't care anymore. This country is badly divided and in a dangerous place IMO, and so many guys don't see it.

Also, for the record, I am not a liberal in the sense of the word many of the guys on this site try to characterize me as. I really oppose a lot of the views of the left and also a lot of the stuff on the right. The best description of my views is that I am an independent who leans left when it comes to the environment and the party that is more successful in fixing the issues in this country effectively. Neither party, though, is very good any more......................

Go look at the America thread again. I couldn't have put up more rebuttal to you. At some point you weren't even viewing my rebuttal video or reasoning .

FYI you were one of the two I was referring to that put up an honest argument.

A question for those here. When you go to a cruise night what do you talk about. At our local cruise night the discussion go from soup to nuts including cars and political discussions. It is all good natured and you rarely see someone get bent.

If anyone is under the misapprehension that the "sniping" will go away because there is no political forum then they are dreaming. The mods will be even more busy dealing with the miscreants. On the contrary having a self policing open forum where people have to sign in goes a long way to keeping a lid on things elsewhere in the board. I have little empathy for those who might get upset seeing the title of a forum including the word "politics".

I suppose having the C Body group treated differently from the A or B Body groups would be the equivalent of being the Rodney Dangerfields of the Board. We are used to having our vehicles looked at as nothing more than BB donors so this would be nothing we haven't dealt with before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back