Proposal for Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question for those here. When you go to a cruise night what do you talk about. At our local cruise night the discussion go from soup to nuts including cars and political discussions. It is all good natured and you rarely see someone get bent.

If anyone is under the misapprehension that the "sniping" will go away because there is no political forum then they are dreaming. The mods will be even more busy dealing with the miscreants. On the contrary having a self policing open forum where people have to sign in goes a long way to keeping a lid on things elsewhere in the board. I have little empathy for those who might get upset seeing the title of a forum including the word "politics".

I suppose having the C Body group treated differently from the A or B Body groups would be the equivalent of being the Rodney Dangerfields of the Board. We are used to having our vehicles looked at as nothing more than BB donors so this would be nothing we haven't dealt with before.

Great point Fred. While at the Hershey show in the fall of 2008 the Temps were about 92 degrees. Dad and I stopped to get a lemonade and sit a spell. When we did find a seat it was at a picnic table (several put together) . There were at least a dozen other guys there all talking politics. All against Obama but not much hope from the republican camp either. We had a great time at that table as we sat there longer than the lemonade lasted. The comradery couldn't have been better for a bunch of guys who never met and will never see one another again.

Great times!

I could care less to discuss climate change with guys on this site.

As long as you are consistent. It's a shame though as that was a major part of my 2nd major.

Oh well, I still support political discussions here.

When I read through the above thoughtful posts between Dave and Steve I can't for the life of me see what problem there would be having the same dialogue in a dedicated forum. What am I missing?

In needs to stop and in my view giving all this crap more visibility just makes it worse. There is just nothing more that can be said it seems to me that hasn't already been said - all we can do from here is try to calm it down.

Again I can only agree. Stop all the BS talking on both sides of politcal view and calm down.
Stop feeding the hate

Are you ******* kidding me? I go away for a few hours and the thread where people keep telling me they can follow the rules if I give them a politics forum turns into a politics thread? Really?????

Wow, all deleted and not one blue or red reference, no names involved, no name calling and still found unacceptable. :elmer:

I'm pretty new here, but I have been a moderator at another site for the last 20 years. CK5.com is a GM square body site, and it's good sized. A while back there was a similar ask by members for a Political sub-forum for premium members only. I was not for it, for all the same reasons Joey here has already stated. Eventually a political sub-forum was created and at first it was tolerably OK, although I did recuse myself from moderating anything in there.

Fast forward to about 6 months ago and the rhetoric, hate and outright stupidity hit critical mass and the Site Admin had enough. He nuked the political sub-forum and we have a hard "no politics" rule in place now. We haven't banned anyone, a few verbal warnings has been enough and overall the site is pleasant to be a part of again.

For everyone that wants a political forum here, I wonder...do you talk about politics at work or anywhere else public? Have you ever managed to change anyone else's political views?

I know I came here to learn about Mopar stuff, be able to research tech, old threads that will help me with my '66 Fury and hopefully make a friend or two. I do not believe feelings hurt within a political sub forum will not spill out into general forums. That's just my experience elsewhere.

I'm pretty new here, but I have been a moderator at another site for the last 20 years. CK5.com is a GM square body site, and it's good sized. A while back there was a similar ask by members for a Political sub-forum for premium members only. I was not for it, for all the same reasons Joey here has already stated. Eventually a political sub-forum was created and at first it was tolerably OK, although I did recuse myself from moderating anything in there.

Fast forward to about 6 months ago and the rhetoric, hate and outright stupidity hit critical mass and the Site Admin had enough. He nuked the political sub-forum and we have a hard "no politics" rule in place now. We haven't banned anyone, a few verbal warnings has been enough and overall the site is pleasant to be a part of again.

For everyone that wants a political forum here, I wonder...do you talk about politics at work or anywhere else public? Have you ever managed to change anyone else's political views?

I know I came here to learn about Mopar stuff, be able to research tech, old threads that will help me with my '66 Fury and hopefully make a friend or two. I do not believe feelings hurt within a political sub forum will not spill out into general forums. That's just my experience elsewhere.

The Changing of views isn't my intent. I find most of the stuff found by other members who share the same interest insightful.
Example: Victor Davis Hanson is a Historian, a professor and writer. Fred first posted a video of him a year ago. I found that video very educational. So much so I've watched several others which also branched out from those. It became educational for me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back