Pulling the trigger on Firm Feel suspension!

Reaction score
I finally decided that the wobbly wagon train suspension could use a refresh.

I just pulled the trigger on a bunch of parts!

Front suspension rebuild kit with poly bushings.
Bilstien shocks.
Upgraded front sway bar.
Rear sway bar.
New torsion bars.
New leaf springs.

It may be about 8 weeks before all of the parts get to me. No idea how long I'll take to get them put in...

Great parts, I use Firm feel products on all my projects with great results. The guys are very helpful.
Why not go for a road trip and pick the parts up, Firmfeel is in Vancouver Washington

I finally decided that the wobbly wagon train suspension could use a refresh.

I just pulled the trigger on a bunch of parts!

Front suspension rebuild kit with poly bushings.
Bilstien shocks.
Upgraded front sway bar.
Rear sway bar.
New torsion bars.
New leaf springs.

It may be about 8 weeks before all of the parts get to me. No idea how long I'll take to get them put in...

I tried poly bushings once and quickly got rid of them and promised myself I will never make that mistake again. Suspension just slammed over all the bumps rather than absorb them and keep the car quiet. A friend of mine also put some of those poly bushings on his B body and besides being harsh, his started squeaking in short order.

If that is a B7 blue car (it might be Q5 though), then it would be identical in appearance to one of those 71 300 coupes that I have. Great looking cars in those colors.

Do you have some photos of your car you could post along with the body code plate - I at least would like to see your 300 since those are my favoite models in 1971.

Thanks

Last edited:
I was going to say, the poly is not worth it on control arm bushings. But good for the rear shackles and sway bar mounts and end links and firm feel sway bars come with grease fittings.

Great parts, I use Firm feel products on all my projects with great results. The guys are very helpful.
Why not go for a road trip and pick the parts up, Firmfeel is in Vancouver Washington
I asked about that. They told me that they do not even have a storefront or do any will call orders, shipping only.

I tried poly bushings once and quickly got rid of them and promised myself I will never make that mistake again. Suspension just slammed over all the bumps rather than absorb them and keep the car quiet. A friend of mine also put some of those poly bushings on his B body and besides being harsh, his started squeaking in short order.

If that is a B7 blue car (it might be Q5 though), then it would be identical in appearance to one of those 71 300 coupes that I have. Great looking cars in those colors.

Do you have some photos of your car you could post along with the body code plate - I at least would like to see your 300 since those are my favoite models in 1971.

Thanks
More of the car Welcome 1971 300 Alvah to FCBO!

Ah yes, now I recall it - you are relatively quiet on this site. Q5 is one of the best colors on those cars.

Personally I would rethink use of the poly bushings for the control arms and the struts at least.

Best wishes.
I am worried I'm making the wrong choice on the bushings. My experience is not with auto suspension bushings, but when I bought my first new Harley years ago it only took a few months for the rubber bushings on the handlebars to get sloppy. My fear is the rubber bushings will swiftly wear out.

You are correct, I'm not super active here. I do stalk the forums and look for answers to all of my problems here, but I try not to give my opinion too much... if I do know something I probably learned it from one of you guys!

Okay... waiting on parts is not a good thing for me. It gives me time to shop.

To go along with the suspension improvements, I have a rear disk brake kit and new wheels and tires coming.

I may offend a sensibility or two... I understand, drum brakes work fine to stop a car... and there really is something about the original hubcaps...

But, I've had problem going down steep twisty roads with brake fade (not a good feeling), and I've never been a guy to leave a vehicle stock.

Why let hard work by perfectly reasonable engineers (who are smarter than me) stand when I can ruin something by "making it better!"

For what it's worth, that has been my experience too. Poly just doesn't have the ability to flex/absorb vibration and shock like rubber.

@1971 300 Alvah -- have you looked into the Moog bushings? I have only read good things about Moog parts, and they are what I am using to rebuild the front end of Regina (my FQ3 turquoise Polara 'vert). See this post for more info.

@1971 300 Alvah -- have you looked into the Moog bushings? I have only read good things about Moog parts, and they are what I am using to rebuild the front end of Regina (my FQ3 turquoise Polara 'vert). See this post for more info.
I went with Firmfeel because I was able to get everything I wanted from just the 1 source. Plus they're local to me. If I regret the poly bushings I'll consider the Moog to go back to rubber.

I finally received the first of my parts from FirmFeel. I've gotten everything except the leaf springs (on their way) and the front and rear sway bars (long wait).
parts.jpg

Back