question about front shocks

luigi164

Reaction score
For some time I hear a sort of "tingeling" sound from the front suspension when driving on bumpy roads. I have tried to locate it several times but without succes.
Now that I had a problem with the powersteering ( see my other thread) and had to clean everything up I found the issue. After I removed the splashshields and I was leaning on the frontfender, bouncing the car I saw this:
20180716_200404.jpg

When pushing the front down , the top of the shockabsorber comes up and the washer under the nut comes free and makes the "tingeling" sound..Bingo !
For now I put a rubber ring under the nut and the noise is gone, so issue found.
Question: shouldn't the nut be tight to the washer underneath ? IMHO it should..
Never paid any attention to this and the shocks were replaced (NOT by me) 2 years ago..Did my mechanic forgot to tighten it?

491E066F-468A-4900-93F2-122BE40B3271.jpeg
For some time I hear a sort of "tingeling" sound from the front suspension when driving on bumpy roads. I have tried to locate it several times but without succes.
Now that I had a problem with the powersteering ( see my other thread) and had to clean everything up I found the issue. After I removed the splashshields and I was leaning on the frontfender, bouncing the car I saw this:
View attachment 200296
When pushing the front down , the top of the shockabsorber comes up and the washer under the nut comes free and makes the "tingeling" sound..Bingo !
For now I put a rubber ring under the nut and the noise is gone, so issue found.
Question: shouldn't the nut be tight to the washer underneath ? IMHO it should..
Never paid any attention to this and the shocks were replaced (NOT by me) 2 years ago..Did my mechanic forgot to tighten it?
There is a thick round rubber cushion that goes under the washer. Yes then tighten it all down good. No need to kill it. Just a couple pops with an air gun works for me. See pic

And keep in mind there is a rubber bushing also between the top of the shock and the underside of the upper shock mount. If you're seeing that top washer coming up when you jounce the suspension then the bushing underneath that you can't see is gone.

View attachment 200296

From the photo it looks like the rubber bushing on the top of the shock mount was left out. Who ever did the work is an IDIOT! Do not take your car back there. The top mounting nut should be torqued to 25 ft lbs, good idea to recheck after 500 miles as bushing may compress some.

Dave

Back