Question about wheelhouses

413Reasons

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

One of my wheelhouses - the left one - has some rust, which created a small hole, that everyone who looks at the motor can see (light shines through it). I hate that and I want to fix it. My plan: taking both wheelhouses out, clean them, repair the hole and paint them.

Also, they look horrible:

IMG_7850.JPG

My only question is: Is it possible to get a wheelouse out without removing the fender? And if, where do I start? On the inside? On the outside?

I've personally removed my outers on my '67 Imperial without removing the fender itself.

Those style of wheelhouses are a two piece design and you will have to remove the bolts on the inside first to get either piece out, but yes, you can remove them without taking off the fender.

You are clever, aren't you?

I think the sail is inaccurate. You need to add a couple stacks like the Queen Mary has. Maybe some port holes. :D

@1966newport : We'll see. I'll grind everything until it's clean and see what's next. I can't weld, so maybe I choose fiberglass or ask a friend.
Ask a friend, your car is too nice for fiberglass.

BTW your choice of sail colors do the car no justice...:poke:

Dammit...:eek:...you're right! Better this way?

60i3adCTxuT9-7dARSEkqO3mCxBevr90na8HmeKS_QoWpsXXb7qGgccmH53sTygZ-shWZElKtlt1hiliKCJ0K20BAWIcOD502SLlL0H0ZfuF6f50Ema3ygl0wMO868lSTznWd-PmxPk7p6hUFND_5s3RFCAENmPZD7_ZzuhbPTOF161ZYtc0HgqkycGH-8qXgP2CZxofYx8iavZ07E2KBJLcmnD9IKmddM0cWcuHszENcNMy96a7hD9XWkMr10hli0Qqb0UizGO84ysaZdK-FGSP-zZ-6MbpusXiVE0V1_-e5LFWluygUkr7zSakyKPJ_MBnB3H_DYUo79AxhyYjuahXQMq2g1HmU3KiBceNkux-gX3j4eou6Y5qeRIzKz93OnfD2_xsvNVIS-btKJMRHL_KXYtjLrLCVWo1pNB2otWlHluQVQKqt5TOku1faMiYFdFN7BAzM_nIUwjq-kqw16WEsOLVUVBplWafHjJYXg123fpsqqOT6qf2SXiNPY0X6rYXH3XU7TyjiM2CYI6Cyk5Q4jgp60IvGRdjGT7Y8V4xPbxAtbHkPiaL7DRe_cHQNvfu0A=w1284-h646-no

And I know, it's no original Mopar-logo, but it seemed just right at this place.

Depending on the fiberglass: I knew, this would happen - don't be afraid, I'm not a bondo-bumbler.

If you don't weld, that is ok, clean the hole out with a die grinder, cutoff wheel, and rotary stones until you have nothing but solid metal. Then make a patch by first tracing the pattern on thin cardboard, then transferring it to new steel sheet metal. When you have it fitted up so there are no gaps or overlap, take the wheelhouse and patch to a welder to have it welded in. Most of the work is in the preparation, not the welding.

I agree with My three 67 Polaras. I did exactly what you are planning to do on my '66. It was a very simple job for my metal guy, he charged me next to nothing to do it, but I did all the prep work and I painted them myself.

Wheel wells.sm.jpg

Back