Radio interference, I'm out....

Sure! I cut the power "in" wire crimped a ring terminal on each side of the cut and connected the terminals, one to each of the low voltage terminals on the ignition coil. The coil was used as a"choke" coil. A term I learned from my father. Lindsay
Innovative! Where did you put the ignition coil bracket? On the firewall?

Was this video in your garage, or outside, away from metal buildings?

Update: Today I started with the tips & tricks given here.

- Disconnected the fieldwires at the alternator: NO result
- Pulled alle the fuses one by one: NO result
- Connected an extra groundwire from the VR to the engine (on the coilbracket) NO interference !!!

I was so surprised I started the car several times with the radio on ( low volume) and I couldn't hear any interference...!!
Reved the engine, hit the brakes several times, nothing...

So, I thought I solved the issue and put everything back together, feeling good.
Untill I took the car for a ride an hour later.
Started the car , turned on the radio and.........interference :mad::mad::mad:
During the ride it was as if nothing had changed, interference all the time and louder with higher revs and during braking.

So the story goes on. Next step will be checking grounds in the taillights......sigh

If the taillights are bright and operational, I don't see why they would be the problem.
I'm still thinking instrument panel voltage regulator and condenser. However, I can't explain why the problem stopped for a brief time period.
Maybe @Zymurgy can help

Only thing I can add is adding an in-line noise suppressor for your new radio. I worked at a big car radio store many many years ago. Sometime and usually from an older cars, there would be bad interference when the engine was running, a noise suppressor seemed to always fix the problem

Only thing I can add is adding an in-line noise suppressor for your new radio. I worked at a big car radio store many many years ago. Sometime and usually from an older cars, there would be bad interference when the engine was running, a noise suppressor seemed to always fix the problem
Thanks!!!

I also tried to connect the radio directly to the battery (+ and -) I assume I bypass the instrument panel VR that way or not ?
I agree there will be a constant power lead connect it straight to the battery and then hook the noise suppressor to the power lead which is switched.

I also tried to connect the radio directly to the battery (+ and -) I assume I bypass the instrument panel VR that way or not ?
yes, you bypassed the instrument panel voltage regulator.
Assuming you still have the noise/static, I agree with an inline noise suppressor on the battery power input wire to the radio.

The instrument voltage limiter supplies 5 volts to the instruments. It isn't something that you would have been able to wire into easily.

When it's working, it can create some RF interference and there's usually a suppressor attached to it.

Since you really can't find the cause, try installing something like this in the power to the radio.

Amazon product ASIN B07HZ4RSS7

Back