Rattle From Front End

Rutty

Reaction score
My Newport has developed a rattle/clunking noise in the driver's side front end when accelerating. It always happens when accelerating. Bumps don't seem to cause the rattle.
It started after I did some hard braking.
Any weak points in the front suspension system that I should check first?

Thanks,
Matt
'68 Newport Custom Sedan

Open hood....
FIRMLY stand on brake pedal...
Put gear selector in D or 2...
Push accelerator pedal little more than half way all at once...
Look to see if motor "jumped" up...

If motor jumps up, replace left motor mount....

I had a 69 Newport that started to make a clunking noise every time I accelerated it ended up being a worn lower ball joint.

My Newport has developed a rattle/clunking noise in the driver's side front end when accelerating. It always happens when accelerating. Bumps don't seem to cause the rattle.
It started after I did some hard braking.
Any weak points in the front suspension system that I should check first?

Thanks,
Matt
'68 Newport Custom Sedan
As @Xenon says, check the left motor mount.

After that, check the shocks to see if the lower bolt is loose (seen this a few times) . Since it happened after hard braking, I'd also look hard at the front strut rods.

From there, it's look at ball joints and the upper and lower suspension bushings.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't even think about checking the motor mounts. That's a good idea.

Open hood....
FIRMLY stand on brake pedal...
Put gear selector in D or 2...
Push accelerator pedal little more than half way all at once...
Look to see if motor "jumped" up...

If motor jumps up, replace left motor mount....

The left motor mount seems to need replacing. The rubber is very cracked and the engine jumps up on the left side when I perform the test Xenon recommend. I'll replace that first and see if the problem goes away. I'll take a look at the strut rods and bushings when I'm replacing the mount.

Back