Rear differential gasket question

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
On my 68 Newport I want to change the rear diff gasket. I have a fsm on disk but had to order an external cd reader to view it. In the meantime is it just as simple as taking off the ten bolts or so and lowering the driveshaft and that whole front unit? I just want to swap the gasket and fluid only.

Last edited:
To remove the center section and replace the gasket you have to take the axels out. You will have to take off the rear drums and remove the bolts holding the axels in. You don't have to take them all the way out but enough to clear the center section. If it was me, I would take them out all the way and replace those gaskets too.

Yes it’s a big stinky job. after you do it several times it can go pretty fast with air tools.

I wouldn‘t change the axle seals if they are not leaking. It is very easy to go back in there later If they do leak. I would clean the bearings and repack them in grease. They don’t ride in oil. If they are covered in oil the axle seals are bad.

I always install a drain plug by drilling and tapping for 3/8”NPT and installing a flush pipe plug in the bottom of the housing. I used to do a lot of pumpkin swapping, and this made the job less messy.

On my 69 I'm trying to find the crush sleeve, pinion spacer, preload spacer, whatever it's called but I can only find complete rear rebuild kits. Anyone have a source?

On my 69 I'm trying to find the crush sleeve, pinion spacer, preload spacer, whatever it's called but I can only find complete rear rebuild kits. Anyone have a source?
Are you positive it's a 1 7/8 tapered pinion? It could go either way in 1969.

I'll check again. It's a two size spacer. One end is larger than other with a bend out in the middle instead of taper. Supposed to crush as you're tightening and measuring tongue. I'll get in the FSM parts manual and look. It's a sure-grip 2.76 diff

I'll check again. It's a two size spacer. One end is larger than other with a bend out in the middle instead of taper. Supposed to crush as you're tightening and measuring tongue. I'll get in the FSM parts manual and look. It's a sure-grip 2.76 diff
If you have it apart and that's what you have, that is a tapered pinion. If it's still in the car, look for a casting number ending in 489 or possibly 488 (although I've never seen a 488).

As I understand it, in 1969 they phased in the tapered pinion, so it could be anything... And then there's always the chance it got swapped in the past.

Parts manual appears incomplete. Part is referred to 3-22-26 picture but there is only 5 pages
Look at the 70 parts manual. It will be the same. Parts Manuals – MyMopar

The problem with MyMopar's parts manuals is some are missing pages or sections. Not all... Just a few of them. The '70 parts manual seems complete.

On my 68 Newport I want to change the rear diff gasket. I have a fsm on disk but had to order an external cd reader to view it. In the meantime is it just as simple as taking off the ten bolts or so and lowering the driveshaft and that whole front unit? I just want to swap the gasket and fluid only.
Why? Is it leaking?

Sounds like a big job

Its not really a big job, unless you run into this:

1696941258846.png

Back