Rebuild or purchase a Remanufactured engine for my Imp?

HemiFury1973

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Well, after it has been sitting for almost 2 years now, it's time to take care of my 73 Imp.

I still don't know what damage was done but i start to collect information and here it's the beginning.

Do you know where can i get a rebuild kit? Sould i consider buying a remanufactured engine? and if so - where i can find one?

Any help will be more than appreciated and welcome.

Thanks,

Hemi

There's 10 gazillion questions to ask first.
What are your skills.
Your budget.
Your intentions.
Your needs.
Your mother's maiden name.
Etc, etc, etc...

It's endless
From your one over-simplified question, I'd have to say, buy an OTC long block from your local auto parts store for 2 grand and find a competent shop to install it for another grand, tops.
Your mileage may vary...

If you want to get your hands dirty, then you need to disassemble the engine first to see what you are dealing with.

Thanks.
\
My intentions are just to get it back to its stock form. My mechanic will do the job, but i guess i will need parts, parts, parts...

:)

That's good. Have him tear it down and send the block and heads to a competent machine shop.
You really don't want to start buying stuff until you see what the block is like, especially if it needs to be bored. Then you're talking pistons, rings, different gasket kit...

You'll have to shop around on this one depending on the cash you want to invest and weather you need some sort of warranty to stay in your "comfort zone". I'm assuming, by your handle, that the engine is a hemi and if authenticity is what you want. rebuilding might be your only option if the block and heads are still good. Some rebuilder's that have engines "ready to run" are prone to using substandard cheaper components in unseen places in order to bolster their profit margins and the warranty usually reflects this. Most crate engines have better warranties but cost more. One thing I really advocate when rebuilding or purchasing a rebuilt or crate motor is to have a "roller" valve system to avoid that "20 minutes at 2000 r.p.m." scenario. So much can go wrong in such a short period of time.

Don't forget Hemi lives in Isreal...
you definitely need to know the internal condition of the engine. Let's hear it, the car was running when you got it from Ross, yes?

Don't forget Hemi lives in Isreal...
you definitely need to know the internal condition of the engine. Let's hear it, the car was running when you got it from Ross, yes?

Yes, the car was running PERFECT when i got it from dear Ross and later.

I am waiting for my mechanic to tell me more about the engine's internal condition.

Any details on the circumstances of said damage? Maybe it's not wounded as bad as you think.

Kevin

I still don't know what is the damage, but it happened in a regular driving. Suddenly i started to hear a really loud noise and i took it home on a trailer.

Well, it seems that there is no way but rebuilding or replacing the engine.

Any suggestions if and where i can buy a complete remanufactured engine?

What did your mechanic say was wrong with the engine? If you have access to machine shops that can do the machine work for you I'm sure it'd be cheaper to just order the parts you need for a rebuild from Summit Racing.

What did your mechanic say was wrong with the engine? If you have access to machine shops that can do the machine work for you I'm sure it'd be cheaper to just order the parts you need for a rebuild from Summit Racing.

He said that the knocking from the bottom is so loud that he has no doubt a full rebuilt is needed. I checked and importing a reman engine and installing it would be cheaper then rebuild.

I wouldn't panic just yet. Did it start making noise and quit or did you shut it off?

If it quit on its own, it might have wiped out the timing chain which can cause some damage but usually not fatal. Depending on what you were doing when it let go, it MIGHT bend some valves or pushrods. My experience has been that the only damage was the upper timing gear stripped the nylon teeth and replacement with a double roller set solved the problem. PIA job but the engine stays in the car.

To diagnose, pull the coil wire and spin the engine on the starter. If it sounds like it only has compression on 1 or 2 cylinders, it's the chain.

Pull the valve covers to check for rocker arm issues or dropped valves. If it dropped a valve the head has to come off but if no other damage, that's all.

If it was still running but making noise, if you're lucky it could be the A/C compressor blowing up or the idler bearing in the A/C clutch. If that RV2 compressor throws a rod it will make all kinds of knock knock noises.

Transmission flex plate can make some racket if it's cracked too.

Once you eliminate the easy stuff like the valve train and external stuff perhaps then it's time to panic. :gah:

Kevin

He said that the knocking from the bottom is so loud that he has no doubt a full rebuilt is needed. I checked and importing a reman engine and installing it would be cheaper then rebuild.

I realize you are on the other side of the world but if it is a low mile engine and it has spun a bearing, you might get away with turning the crank and replacing a connecting rod for a lot less than a re-man shipped from far away. If the bores are in good shape a quick touch with a hone and new rings would put it back in almost new condition.

Then there is always the stroker kit option seeing as the crank is going to be out of it anyway... 500 cubes and a heavy Imperial is a match made in heaven.

Kevin

Either way....you are going to have to disassemble it. Take it apart, figure out what happened and then you can choose which direction you need to go. Post plenty of pictures of the disassembled engine. It will interesting to see what you find.

Normally I would say to take it apart and figure out what is wrong and then make a decision. Since you are paying someone to do the work, it may be cheaper to just replace the engine with a rebuilt one and be done with it.

The other question is if you have anyone there that is capable of rebuilding the 440 correctly. It isn't that much different from other American V8s but it's different from, let's say, a Toyota or a tractor. Again, that may tip the scales to buying a rebuild.

difficult question exspecially considering your location.

How expensive would it be to ship a new engine to Israel?

Do you have a good mechanic locally who could do an engine rebuilt or at least organize it?
If so can you or he organize the parts easily and have knowledge ?

Think about these costs and go from there.

As mentioned before usually you pull the engine, disassemble it and go from there but if you have to pay someone doing it:
Ponder which way might be better (cheaper) for you

Carsten

Back