remove rear bumper

crugone

Reaction score
dear all i would like to remove my rear bumper but not realy find the way to all nuts. i have 300 chrysler coupe 1970. i also would like to take out the tail lamp assembly but also find not realy a way. there is a metal caghe in the rear trunk and i guess all the screws and nuts are hidden there. pls let me know how i can remove this part
best regards crugone

I cant say for a Chrysler, but a Polara/Monaco you need to get under the car and through the trunk

You haven't lived until doing it solo...

(Sent using Forum Runner)

I just swapped out my bumpers yesterday from that red 78 NY'er from El Paso. I can understand why they are gold to derby guys. The damn things have to weigh 200 lbs apiece!

Last edited:
Front and rear?

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Oh Ya! Both. The rear bumper 2 times. After I had the rear bumber on....had to take it back off to get the the old top trim piece around the license plate area off and the new trim on.

Ahhhhhhh. So that was the "gad$%#^dammitttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I heard all the way down here.

dear all i would like to remove my rear bumper but not realy find the way to all nuts. i have 300 chrysler coupe 1970. i also would like to take out the tail lamp assembly but also find not realy a way.
I unbolted the brackets at the rear frame on my 69, (two bolts per side), with no effort. Then the bumper bolts are easy to access. (PB Blaster helps).
The tail light should be held in place with a PAL type cap nut from inside the trunk area.... Again, no big effort.

Ahhhhhhh. So that was the "gad$%#^dammitttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I heard all the way down here.

Yes Sir!!! Hopefully that was the first and last time that I have to deal with those bumpers.

thanks sofar ! if it would be so easy i have to open only the trunk and all nuts and bolts will be there. in my case they arre hidden behind a metal housing where i am not able to find beside ( 2 bolts) the way to remove them. i speak to another person which told me that this housing is also glued in so i have to remove this aswell and then the way is free for all the nuts i need to remove the tail. best rgds crugone

Getting the front and rear bumpers off of a '78 NYB is a snap. All you need is a 100 ton mobile crane to support them as you undo the last bolt on each side. I'm betting the factory had the bumper pre-assembled off line including the shock absorbers and all they actually bolted to the car was those. Kinda neat how the front end rises about 1½" when the front bumper comes off.

Slightly off topic here but....
Ever look at what's under the plastic bumper fascias on modern cars? Styrofoam....

Sometimes better to look a bit longer or sleep over a night. In the end it was simple just a a couple of nuts and it fall down.
Thanks for the good tips crugone

Sometimes better to look a bit longer or sleep over a night. In the end it was simple just a a couple of nuts and it fall down.
Thanks for the good tips crugone
I had a similar experience when I tried to remove the bumper on my '66 300. I slept on it and had no problems the next day.

Stan, were you ever on topic on this one?

And Bob, why don't you ever take pics and post them up for all of us to see?

Back