replacement of switches under dash

old_phart

Reaction score
When replacing dash mounted switches, I discovered a neat trick. I own a '67 Fury III (daily driver) and had to replace the headlight switch when I tried this. Holding the switch with one hand from the front, and trying to manipulate the philips screwdriver and sheet metal screw is nearly impossible. Trick......use a dab of contact cement on the screwdriver to hold the screw on. It takes 15-20 minutes for the cement to set up, but it eliminates a lot of grief.

BTW my Fury turned over 340k mi. week before last.

Jim

Wow, that is a lot of mileage.....and still going strong, nice. I have a set of magnetized philips head drivers that are very handy with that sort of thing also. It is a ***** dropping or loosing tiny screws.

congrats on the accomplishment and get suggestions old phart.

Wow, that is a lot of mileage.....and still going strong, nice. I have a set of magnetized philips head drivers that are very handy with that sort of thing also. It is a ***** dropping or loosing tiny screws.

me too Gary

I always keep a roll on my service cart.

9i7j47.jpg

we often use bee's wax when there are nuts, bolts or screws that need to be installed deep inside a jet engine nacelle. Super sticky and works great....

I've used about everything mentioned here.

I had a tiny screw that I used a touch of thick super glue on a Jewelers screwdriver just the other day. That worked really well.

When we had to install a hilock or nut in an area without seeing it, we had a thick kind of stuff called Monkey Snott. Just a dab of this stuff, it worked great.

When we had to install a hilock or nut in an area without seeing it, we had a thick kind of stuff called Monkey Snott. Just a dab of this stuff, it worked great.

Probably the same stuff we call buffalo snot. It's a type of grease we use where the engine mounts to the wing...That stuff is freaking nasty, sooo sticky, you get it on your finges it's game over...

Probably the same stuff we call buffalo snot. It's a type of grease we use where the engine mounts to the wing...That stuff is freaking nasty, sooo sticky, you get it on your finges it's game over...

Is that the same stuff as Gorilla Snot ?!?

Gorilla snot is the yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

At least that's what I've heard it called.

We used Monkey snot in the old Grumman days. We can't get that stuff anymore. We do have some stuff, which is very close to it. It is a white, very thick and sticky goo.

Back