Restaurants & Diners

In Guadalupe, CA

I had the chance to go back here last Friday. One of my favorites, been there since 1944. Nothing's changed except the building being retrofitted, and still in the same family.

@Isaiah Estrada

La-Simpatia-1.jpg

La-Simpatia-2.jpg

La-Simpatia-3.jpg

Next to Bob's Big Boy in Burbank, CA. My hometown and favorite is Superdawg a hot dog stand, just to be clear. Since 1948

20230213_194429.jpg

Bob's Big Boy. The car is really more interesting in this pic (and why I posted it)

We had a couple of restaurants in the 70's here called "TJ's Big Boy" and they were some sort of franchise from the original Bob's.

_nc_ohc=8Q7iB9a7f5YAX8BWyEn&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.jpg

Oregon 1950's.

Looks like a '49 or '50 Chrysler Town and Country vert out front!

X9giLMj&tn=ubNy7vugVzEs0Bho&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.jpg

You may know Harland Sanders by "Colonel Sanders" 1950's pic. '53 ish Chrysler out front.

X9lODa7&tn=ubNy7vugVzEs0Bho&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.jpg

Still open and serving chicken (what else) with an attached museum. Looks like Sanders Court is gone.

Sanders Cafe & Museum

useum-Birthplace-of-Kentucky-Fried-Chicken-680x510.jpg

Last edited:
Skinners located about 1/2 hour north of Winnipeg at Lockport. Lots of history and a great meeting place for old cars. I attached a part of the history of this place. Still going strong today and serves great food with large portions at reasonable rates.
FYI Lockport is a community located on the red river where they built a lock for boats to navigate boats through what used to be rapids. Also has wooden movable damns to help control the river height as well as a ladder system for fish. Well known fishing area.

39AED19B-E620-4C3B-9FC4-D36211C939AB.jpeg

0FD1D724-9100-4C2C-9503-071B55C0EAA2.jpeg

63E9CED7-1C1E-43E6-B592-F410600BDFF9.png

Heids hotdogs in Liverpool, NY. This is a Syracuse landmark. I knew a guy that contracted race engine parts and he said the guys from Chrysler always wanted to go there for lunch.

1930s counter. Looks about the same today.

View attachment 580986

Except for the new cars and the red and white tent, this looked about the same as when that 1930's pic was taken.

View attachment 580987

For years, the only thing they served was hot dogs... Made in the building behind the restaurant. They never had fries or even ketchup. A request for ketchup might get you tossed out. They've expanded their menu with crap like chicken fingers for the kids... and added ketchup... and Hoffman makes their dogs to Heids recipe. Still good, but lost a little with the modern concessions. Personal favorite is the "coney" which is a hot dog made of pork and veal. It's a little spicy... and the only condiment that should ever be used is their original mustard. They used to have tubs of it at the end of the counter with a wooden paint stick to apply the mustard.

View attachment 580988
View attachment 580989
great picts! Thanks for posting - one of the family favorites growing up in the "Cuse" in the 60's!

Carrols in Syracuse. This was across from my high school and was the place to go if you were street racing in the 70's. Of course, I wouldn't know about such things....

These were popular in Syracuse, with the owner of the chain living in the area. They were converted to Burger Kings and now they are the largest franchisee of Burger Kings in the world.

View attachment 580993
The Club Burger was the preferred meal

View attachment 580994
another "Cuse' classic! we used to love those- wasnt there one on Salina in a shopping center? we used to do dinner as a family after the weekly shopping at Green Hills Farms.

another "Cuse' classic! we used to love those- wasnt there one on Salina in a shopping center? we used to do dinner as a family after the weekly shopping at Green Hills Farms.
Are you a valley guy??

There was one on South Salina in the strip mall they call Valley Plaza. Right on the end, next to the bowling alley.

It doesn't look the same, but the strip mall is still there. The P&C was an A&P market and there was a Kresge's (the K in K-Mart) in the middle.

And Green Hills is still there...

lina-St-Syracuse-NY-Primary-Photo-1-HighDefinition.jpg

8b2p5442jpg-5e660bfd74e0964b.jpg

My dad worked for the father in -law and brother in law of Keith Hawkins' (owner of Green Hills) so we shopped there. Grew up on Glenwood Ave rights at the five way intersection with geddes/strathmore etc. went to Roberts El, Bellvue Jr High and then Pebble Hill school in Dewitt.

Bill's Fish fry when it was on Salina before it moved to Seneca TP and how about Doug's Fish Fry in Skaneateles ? if you like fish and live in Marcellus, you probably go there? I have picts of me and my kids (both the older ones in their 40's and the stepson's in their 20's) standing in front of Doug's.

Back