restore my 67' 440HP newport or look for an unrestored original.

polara66hardtop

Reaction score
P1011101.jpgP1011094.jpgP1011095.jpgP1011007.jpgP1011008.jpgHello out there,
I've been trolling for a nice 68-72 Chrysler two door hardtop Mint car, but the prices are out there. I sold my 68' 300 hardtop twenty years ago to a friend, and he still has it. Unfortunately But he recently promised it to someone else. I now have a 67' Newport with the 440 TNT, and have owned it since 1996. I have considered selling it and looking for a nice original, so as not to do all the work. That seems out now. I don't care for the Newport Interior, which is why I have been looking around. However, I have a nice 68' 300 parts car with the buckets, Floor console, Vacuum gauge, etc. The bucket seats are and rear seats are all in White, which is what I wanted, and was the same color as my old 68' 300. Now I think a better idea is to just finish The Newport out like a 300, change the color of the exterior, and say the hell with it. Old My 68' was the midnight forest green color. if I did this, it would be a Newport with the numbers matching 440hp, manual disc brakes, flow thru ventilation, no A/C. I don't care about the A/C. I even have the 68' 300 front end if I wanted to go crazy.
So, do I go ahead and finish this up, or look for another. the 440 TNT is a big draw for me, as it is a CE23L7xxxxxx
Car. It weighs in at 3950 as is, so it gives my GTX a hard time. The good thing the front end is new, windshield is new, and the drivetrain is bone stock and runs great. all the work is interior and paint. I just like 68's better. Should I get over that?

P1011101.jpg

P1011094.jpg

P1011095.jpg

P1011007.jpg

P1011008.jpg

Yup get over it. That car deserves a restoration. If it was mine I wouldn't go any further than changing to a bucket console. Never mind the grill conversion. My .02.

Very nice. I would restore that beauty also. Hell, if you want the buckets, go for it, do it the way you want. I am trying to restore a 68 Newport convertible right now. Well after my elbow surgery heals. Best of luck. Have some fun with it.new tires 002.jpg

new tires 002.jpg

Go where your heart leads you. A part car can be more than...a part car. Do what you want. Do what you will. Yes, sometimes people on the board will say something....all I can say is yes...gusto. Integrity means not violating one's own identity. (Eric Fromm) Not the cars..but your's. Two years ago I thought I had to have everything original..to my surprise, I realized that in order to drive the car...I would have to give in to some things. Doesn't mean that I'm not still trying to find original parts...it just means that I need/want to get on the road again...and drive my baby. Drive now...original parts later. Life is short and tomorrow is a promise to no man/woman. Good luck finding what is in your heart vs what is in your head, or pocketbook.

Go where your heart leads you. A part car can be more than...a part car. Do what you want. Do what you will. Yes, sometimes people on the board will say something....all I can say is yes...gusto. Integrity means not violating one's own identity. (Eric Fromm) Not the cars..but your's. Two years ago I thought I had to have everything original..to my surprise, I realized that in order to drive the car...I would have to give in to some things. Doesn't mean that I'm not still trying to find original parts...it just means that I need/want to get on the road again...and drive my baby. Drive now...original parts later. Life is short and tomorrow is a promise to no man/woman. Good luck finding what is in your heart vs what is in your head, or pocketbook.

It great to see a woman interested in these old cars like we do. Can I call you ( nurse goodbody) ? HEEHAW

I like your plan to restore the 68 ..... and make it your own. That car in dark green with a white bucket seat interior would be awesome...... (sorry, got carried away). I'd go so far as to put a white vinal top on it too.... but thats just me speaking in very good taste. :grin:
I even like the 300 front clip swap idea.......

Not that it really matters ..... but it would cost about the same to restore to original as it will to make it your own...... Do what you want to and the result would be a car you will really enjoy ..... that would still be more valuable them the original.

Last edited:
I kinda wish I was in your shoes and had to make the same choice.
I don't know your financial means but I would hunt down some buckets and go full tilt on a restoration.

I've had the console, Vacuum gauge, floor brackets, and steering column since 1989,as I junked out a rusty 67' 300. I acquired a 68' 300 four door hardtop parts car three years ago, with white bucket seats. Many other things Interchange as well. Beautiful dash, am/fm radio,,,I wonder, does the four door hardtop rear seat Interchange with the two door? The 300 back seat is much more cool looking. I wish I had acted sooner on my old 68' maybe he will change his mind. However, It has no bearing on the 67', after joining the site I've been a lot more enthusiastic about finishing the car. I actually bought it and sold it twice, before getting it back again. The White top is a great idea, and 15x6 magnum 500's. I can see it. The car has glass packs on it, and the building echoes when I crack the throttle open.

Back