restoring a 70 SF grille - help

70Tom

Reaction score
So has anyone restored a 70 SF grille before? Mine has some problems. The center section has 2 elongated pieces to which the headlight surrounds attach. Both side are cracked off and "attached" to the headlight surround section. The headlight surround section has a piece at the top that attaches to the center section. Both sides are cracked off. So basically All 4 connections are broken off, and these aren't small sections. They're at least 2" long, 1.5" or so wide.

I'm not sure what material the grille is made of--it seems like pot metal, but it doesn't pit so I'm guessing that isn't it, but I was thinking of trying JB Weld. Not sure it would hold, however.

Any thoughts here?

I'll have to take some tonight when I get home. I didn't have time last night as was busy taking everything apart to get the bumper to the chromer.

have these on my go to list in case of emergency....will work great for the rear panels as well...clean off the mastic crap add WB weld and yer rockin
$_57.JPG

10 pcs break off moulding trim clips & nuts with mastic sealer Mopar 102408 | eBay

Just curious, are these grilles made out of pot metal? It's a little hard to tell, mainly because there's no pitting all over the place. Haha.

Anyone ever strip the paint off of one of these grilles? If so, what method did you use? Finding it hard to get paint off of it.

So just spoke with the "good" local media blast guy [i.e. someone who I know won't destroy it], and it's going to run $150 to have the grill and the headlight doors media blasted. Despite it seeming like a lot of money, as I'm having a hell of a time sanding it down, I'm thinking it might be worth it. It's the front of the car and is obviously prominent.

Easy Off oven cleaner will remove the paint or water soluable paint stripper will work. Lease on long enough to do its job but not too much. Try on another piece of aluminum to test.

Back