Resurrection of my 1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible

Are you sure that was the seat frame from the '70 that was rotted out and not the one from the '69 parts car? I remember that stuff being in really good condition on the car I gave you. Didn't you take the seats from the parts car?

I don't really remember, I only have the one seat bottom. I've got to drag it out this weekend and take a look side by side. I'll do some comparison pics. Are you joining the Moorestown Convoy? :poke::)

I don't really remember, I only have the one seat bottom. I've got to drag it out this weekend and take a look side by side. I'll do some comparison pics. Are you joining the Moorestown Convoy? :poke::)
Not likely what about a Littleton Convoy?

As promised, here are photos of my newly acquired parts car. It is a running 1970 300 2 door hard top, A/C, power windows, power door locks, power seat, white interior.

Decoding of Fender Tag​
CodeDescription
E85440-4 Barrel
D32H-D A-727 TorqueFlite Trans / Some Years A-998
CM23C = Chrysler
M = Medium
23 = 2 Door Hardtop
T0CT = Unknown
0 = 1970
C = Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA
155161Sequence Number '155161'
TX9Paint Code: Black / Black Velvet
M6XWTrim Grade/Style/Color
M = Medium
6 = Vinyl Bucket Seats
X = Black
EW1Upper Door Frame: White / Alpine White
A30Date Built: 10 / 30 / 1969
083172Order Number: 083172
TX9Roof Type OR Color: Black / Black Velvet
H51Single Air /w Heater
P31Power Windows
P41Power Door Locks
L31Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
C21Center Seat Foldown Armrest
P25Power LS Bucket or 50/50
B51Power Assisted Brakes
G11Tinted Glass All
V5XBlack - Mouldings - Protective Insert Body Side

James

Hi,

do you have the window trim (front and rear)?

Carsten

Yes, I think I have all of the trim. I haven't had the time yet to go through all of the parts. I plan on digging into this once this blasted winter ends.

I love this thread, up north a bit from you here in NJ. If you are parting this car out and are cutting it up I REALLY need the firewall if it is rust free. I can offer money or grunt labor in exchange. John

Another Jersey member, cool! Yep, that's the plan, although I will be getting it road worthy first because its been 30 years since I've driven an old mopar big block, and I need to know what thats like again. Floors and trunk are wasted as is the rear window frame, but the cowel looks solid. I'll know more once I get into it in the spring.

Another Jersey member, cool! Yep, that's the plan, although I will be getting it road worthy first because its been 30 years since I've driven an old mopar big block, and I need to know what thats like again. Floors and trunk are wasted as is the rear window frame, but the cowel looks solid. I'll know more once I get into it in the spring.

poor tx9 300:eusa_wall:

I will be getting it road worthy first because its been 30 years since I've driven an old mopar big block, and I need to know what thats like again.
Your gonna love it, it is totally addicting....barely, barely have to put the pedal down to keep up with all those rice mobiles running around on the highways with those loud *** soup can mufflers these days. You'll see.

poor tx9 300:eusa_wall:

Yes, I know. It would be so much easier if it were green.:sad5:

Your gonna love it, it is totally addicting....barely, barely have to put the pedal down to keep up with all those rice mobiles running around on the highways with those loud *** soup can mufflers these days. You'll see.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of, I might like it too much! I really want my son to drive it. He thinks it is "sick" (cool in teen speak), and since he tools around in a 1987 Honda Prelude I need to see the look on his face when he puts his foot down.:3gears:

hope your son will love it so it doesn't get killed.
factory tx9 cars are really rare. And this one isn't that bad.
And yes, it would be easier (for me) if this one would be green.

I saw the pictures of the rust, oh man such an easy fix too, i just finished rebuilding the entire rear window channel and trunk floor in my car, you could step through the floor it was so bad and that was jsut the beginning, it took me a year to do all the rust in the entire car.

1. You can drive my T&C, I like it, not done by any means. 2. if you let me get the firewall the 70/300 will have saved 2 other C body lifes. John

Update time. I finished off last season putting the refreshed axle back in. It was nice to see the car on all fours once again, the first time in 4 years.

DSC03147.JPG

The trunk floor came out pretty good. This year I will be power washing the under carriage, taking care of the surface rust and re-applying the 3M undercoat in places where the original came off:

DSC03143.JPG

Nothing like new shackle bushings to spruce things up. The shackles, bolts and brackets were all refinished and painted:

DSC03148.JPG

DSC03149.JPG

Here are some before and after shots. These really rusty parts were cleaned with a combination of Evapo-Rust and my new sandblasting cabinet:

DSC02926.JPG

DSC02925.JPG

DSC02924.JPG

DSC02928.JPG

DSC02927.JPG

Yeah, this is going to take some time.

Last edited:
I had to patch a couple of nasty rust holes in that cross-member where the gas tank filler neck goes through. I'd eventually like to replace it since it had been damaged at one point:

DSC03141.JPG

DSC03142.JPG

Double walled, so I put a patch on both sides:

DSC03144.JPG

DSC03145.JPG

DSC03146.JPG

Last edited:
As some of you know, to start off this season, I pulled the engine out so I could start de-rusting the front. (I really appreciate all the offers of help!) My son was in from college so I put him to work.

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

We had the car on ramps to start, removed the trans cross-member and pulled up, only to be blocked by the trans tunnel and the front end. Since the hoist had sunk into the dirt, pulling back was not an option. We ended up lowering the car, removing the nose and using a winch tied to a tree to pull the car back. Again, no steering or breaks and on an incline, so I was a little nervous. I told him that if at the slightest movement it looked like the engine would fall or the car roll uncontrollably to jump out of the way! So, when the chain shifted suddenly and the engine dropped a couple of inches, what's my first instinct? Throw my arms out as if to catch it! Stupid, stupid dad....

IMG_2322.JPG

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

Free at last! Note to self: Even though a dolly is rated at 1000 lbs, it can't hold a 700 lbs 440!

IMG_2325.JPG

Time to build our own:

IMG_2327.JPG

That's more like it!

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we uncovered some frame damage. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I don't want the car to track down the road sideways or give the alignment shop fits. I'd actually like to get it on a rack and have it straightened properly. Apparently the stub frame from my hardtop has a different mounting configuration so that wont be an option. The positive is that this one has new control arms and bushings. This is the first time since I got the car that I had a good look at the front, and I also noticed that there are no calipers.
IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

James

Last edited:
Back