Resurrection of my 1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible

My books and years of asking tells me that it is the same. In fact, that is why I wanted your frame, to swap my convertible frame out because it is bent

I'll have to crawl under there and get a picture, but it is also outlined in the FSM. It appears that the on the hardtop the mountings extend past where the "outriggers" are on the convertible and mount into the floor with isolators. The convertible does not appear to have any such isolators, but mount to rockers via the "outriggers". Here is a photo of two outriggers that I had in my parts box:

whatarethese.jpg
whatarethese02.jpg

I think further investigation is needed regardless, but it does look like they are different.

Last edited:
My books and years of asking tells me that it is the same. In fact, that is why I wanted your frame, to swap my convertible frame out because it is bent

Dave, have you ever investigated having the frame straightened? I think that's what I would like to have done, as opposed to hunting down another one.

James

Dave, have you ever investigated having the frame straightened? I think that's what I would like to have done, as opposed to hunting down another one.

James

no I havent but that is probably the route I'll take. The frame rails are SOLID but theres that damn twist.

FYI The part numbers for a frame of a Dodge/ Chrysler hardtop and convertible are the same for 1970. I know someone who replaced a Dodge convertible frame with that of a 71 hardtop. He said it bolted right in with no mods, yes, the frame was different under the car but bolted right up.

$ 2 cents $

I'll have to crawl under there and get a picture, but it is also outlined in the FSM. It appears that the on the hardtop the mountings extend past where the "outriggers" are on the convertible and mount into the floor with isolators. The convertible does not appear to have any such isolators, but mount to rockers via the "outriggers". Here is a photo of two outriggers that I had in my parts box:

I think further investigation is needed regardless, but it does look like they are different.

Jim is correct about the subframe being different between hardtop and a convertible, they are different! The part number for the frame of a 1970 hardtop is 3417 199. The convertibles and station wagons do use the same subframe, the part number for that is 3417 198, they do not bolt up the same as the HT. If you truly need a frame you can get one from a donor Fury, Polara or Chrysler station wagon so you're not limited to just a convertible donor. The inner fender wheel houses are also different between the hardtop and the station wagon/ convertible. It is possible that your friend used a subframe from a station wagon in his convertible but definitly not from a HT.

Just my 2 cents

the parts book shows that the 1970 C and D coupe, conv and station wagon uses 3417198 and the 4 doors use 199. The 1971 C and D use the 3417199 on all bodies

Interesting to note the 70 Plymouth and Dodge 6 cylinders share the same number 3417 299
and the 1971 Dodge and Plymouth 6 cylinder shares their own number of 3482 825

I cant tell you how many people tell me different stories on which years cross over, and by guys that have done it. A different part number may be as simple as an extra hole drilled .

Thanks! This season has gotten off to a slow start for me. When I got the motor out and discovered the bent frame it was a bit of a downer. Now, trying to move forward, I've been in touch with a couple of shops and they all say the same thing, don't straighten it, swap it out. Anyone have a spare vert or wagon stub frame sitting out there?

Thanks! This season has gotten off to a slow start for me. When I got the motor out and discovered the bent frame it was a bit of a downer. Now, trying to move forward, I've been in touch with a couple of shops and they all say the same thing, don't straighten it, swap it out. Anyone have a spare vert or wagon stub frame sitting out there?

I cant take it.......... we have been through this. Have you looked at your other frame? The part numbers are the same

Have you fixed your frame yet? That bend in the frame is so easily fixable, by the looks of it it's only dented on the inner top. Even if the hardtop subframe was the same as the convertible I wouldn't even worry about replacing it for that damage. It's not a truck frame, its basically just thick sheet metal, it's a smaller job than the shock crossmember and trunk pan that you already replaced. A shop would have advised you not to do that job as well, so beware the "professional". There is a good chance that it will still measure to specs even with the dent. Pull the bend out from the inner part by welding studs to it and using a slide hammer. When you get that pulled sufficiently, measure the points and do whatever pulls that might still need tweaking, it probably won't need much, if anything else. This is something you already know how to do Jim.

Wheelbase measurements are good and I could still use shims and trickery to make the fender fit. But you know me, even after it's done, I'll still know there is a bent frame under there and that will bug me!

That's a good idea, but I don't know the little slide hammer I have will work. If I can get a hold of a torch I'd use heat at the same time. It won't hurt to try, but I've sourced a good donor frame just waiting on shipping arrangements.

I haven't had much time to do anything this summer, and now the fall is coming on fast. Here is a quick update, just to keep the thread current.

In my search for a serviceable stub frame I discovered a salvage yard in Newtown, PA that has a 1969 300 vert.

IMG_2590.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

Of course, the stub crumbled in my fingers as I reached underneath to check it's integrity. However, I did spot some parts including this rear-seat speaker grille in better shape than the one I have.

IMG_2569.JPG

Next to the 300 is a 71 Polara 4 door. I didn't get a pic of that (sorry Dave, the bees were crazy that day), but I did manage to pull a couple of calipers. Also picked up a parade boot from the 300, and although it was in tatters I pulled all of the little clips out that are always broken.

1187.JPG

1188.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

Last edited:
Still in need of a stub, I began my search once again right here on FCBO. As luck would have it, Alan (MrMoparCHP) listed a stub frame FREE! Only problem of course, it had to be shipped from California to New Jersey. Alan went above and beyond in my effort to get it shipped including delivering it to Fastenal! Thanks Alan! Also a big shout out to 3rd Party Logistics who handled the transaction. It was by far the least expensive transport for less-then-full truck load freight.

It took a few weeks, but I finally got the call while I was on vacation that the frame was ready to be picked up. I don't own a truck, but with a little creative driving the mini-van managed the task.

IMG_2936.JPG

Ok, now it's here, how do I get it down off the roof?? The crane! The crane!

IMG_2938.JPG

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

Last edited:
Finally, after 5 years it was time to move the vert out of the back yard and into the garage. We needed a new fence anyway, so no better time than the present. I also got the chance to expand the driveway back another 8 feet. Never know when another C-Body will appear.

Steady as she goes....

IMG_2934.JPG

I probably should have moved the car before installing the posts for the new fence. Between the uprights...it's good!

IMG_2935.JPG

Two peas in a pod, with the new stubby.

IMG_2942.JPG

And there it sat for a month. I still had to clear the garage, and in the meantime my son's Honda Prelude decided to lose it's clutch, so that took up garage space an over a week of aggravation. :soapbox:

Last edited:
Just this past weekend came the opportunity to rearrange the garage. My wife's Sunbird takes up one side and piles of collected junk take up the other. It was time for this two car garage to live up to it's name. :eek:s_dancing2:

No steering, so the car had to be lifted and pulled in all kinds of directions. But first, The Beast had to come alive and be moved into its new driveway span.

IMG_3009.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

Rolling, rolling, rolling...

IMG_3012.JPG

Come on back!

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_3014.JPG

Um...wait a sec...

IMG_3015.JPG

Dang modern garages!

Last edited: