Resurrection of my 1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible

Nice going! Newtown PA., I gotta ad that location to my notes. Not to far either, perfect.

Thanks! You may want to get there soon, owners son is pledged to scrape the whole place if he can convince the old man. I'll make one more trip as soon as the bees are gone.

I love that pic with the garage door down behind the wheelz Samplingman... ABSOLUTELY CLASSIC. Remindz me of when we bought the little ponderosa in Texas IN '95. The 2nd building waz 20'X35' and we bought the place from the licensed contractor that had built it for hiz own family so I talked him into putting an 18' Door in the 35' side as part of the sale deal and and Mama and I flew back to Michigan and picked up the '68 Backaruda vert. and the 300 Hurst and headed back south west with our little caravan. made the trip fine, uped the new door and she drove the '68 in and then I drove the '70 in and yeah know what? Everything 'CEPT the rear bumper fit but that door wasn't about to make contact with the floor and I'm thinkin' my kingdom for 4 more inchez and no smart a$$ remarkz guyz. AAARRRGGGHHHH. So the logical solution waz to add on right so we did. Stick built a 28'X50' rite on the end of the 20'X35' and yeah know what happened then? Within a year the fleet grew from 4 to 10 and I had 2 in the house garage, 2 more in the 20'X35' and 4 more in the 28'X50' and still had 2 more out side supplyin' shade for the critterz. Took me another 10 yearz to realize my a$$ would only fit one chair at ah time any time. AH the sickness, Jer

Nice going! Newtown PA., I gotta ad that location to my notes. Not to far either, perfect.

Thanks! You may want to get there soon, owners son is pledged to scrape the whole place if he can convince the old man. I'll make one more trip as soon as the bees are gone.

Let me know we'll split gas and tolls......

LMAO. Priceless.

4ce507be-a36a-43d3-a9df-9174eb2ac07a_zps01a9deb7.jpg

I love that pic with the garage door down behind the wheelz Samplingman... ABSOLUTELY CLASSIC. Remindz me of when we bought the little ponderosa in Texas IN '95. The 2nd building waz 20'X35' and we bought the place from the licensed contractor that had built it for hiz own family so I talked him into putting an 18' Door in the 35' side as part of the sale deal and and Mama and I flew back to Michigan and picked up the '68 Backaruda vert. and the 300 Hurst and headed back south west with our little caravan. made the trip fine, uped the new door and she drove the '68 in and then I drove the '70 in and yeah know what? Everything 'CEPT the rear bumper fit but that door wasn't about to make contact with the floor and I'm thinkin' my kingdom for 4 more inchez and no smart a$$ remarkz guyz. AAARRRGGGHHHH. So the logical solution waz to add on right so we did. Stick built a 28'X50' rite on the end of the 20'X35' and yeah know what happened then? Within a year the fleet grew from 4 to 10 and I had 2 in the house garage, 2 more in the 20'X35' and 4 more in the 28'X50' and still had 2 more out side supplyin' shade for the critterz. Took me another 10 yearz to realize my a$$ would only fit one chair at ah time any time. AH the sickness, Jer

LMAO! I have to admit, I measured everything and knew I'd only get in up to the firewall. I have a workbench and about 5 feet behind the rear bumper. I'll be taking the stub off this weekend. The garage is only 20 feet deep, so without the bench and workspace I'll have a few inches to spare. Long term plan is to bump out the front 2 feet and have the door moved, 'cause once she is done, I'm not going the car cover route.

Let me know we'll split gas and tolls......

Ok, sounds like a plan, sometime in October? While I was there in June the bees were lining up on the roof rail, 1000's of them just watching. They only started to swarm at the last moment while I was packing up. The place only had a few old Mopars, the 69 300, 71 Polara, 63-64 Dart and some 1940's thing I didn't recognize. Lots of Mustangs and classic GM, notably the nose of a 67 (?) GTO and an old LeMans. It was just cool to walk through since there aren't many "U-Pull-its" around.

Next step for my "winterization" was to be able to close the garage door, so I needed to remove the stub frame. First, I created a dolly that will support the front and give me the ability to roll the carcass freely:

IMG_3021.JPG

Next, I suported the frame and the body in order to loosen the stub frame bolts. No matter how many jack stands and jacks I have holding up a car, I always say a prayer before crawling under, especially while working alone:

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

Free at last!

IMG_3024.JPG

There is also a small crack along one of the bends in the damaged part of the frame. I will make an attempt to straighten it just for fun, but I think this one is going to scrap:

IMG_3025.JPG

Hello dolly!

IMG_3029.JPG

Like a baby in its cradle:

IMG_3030.JPG

Last edited:
I live for posts like this.
I stare at the carcass and try and learn as much as I can!
Thanks!

Posted via Topify on Android

You're welcome! It's the least I can do....since I'm not really doing anything at this point except moving the thing from one spot to the next!

Next up....cleaning and prepping the firewall.

I just bolted a board with casters to the body and made a simple cart for the stub frame.

2010-10-28_002.jpg

Alan

Next, I suported the frame and the body in order to loosen the stub frame bolts. No matter how many jack stands and jacks I have holding up a car, I always say a prayer before crawling under, especially while working alone:

58c29e4160f947ea2a3c0c75f60efe1b_zps6a16d271.jpg
Amen to that. I always use THREE jacks at a time even though I may just have to lift only the front end. Sometimes while I'm under there (more than half way!) I think about how utterly crushed I would be if this car fell......I have to try really hard to force myself to focus back on the job at hand,lol.

Next step for my "winterization" was to be able to close the garage door, so I needed to remove the stub frame. First, I created a dolly that will support the front and give me the ability to roll the carcass freely:

58c29e4160f947ea2a3c0c75f60efe1b_zps6a16d271.jpg

Free at last!

There is also a small crack along one of the bends in the damaged part of the frame. I will make an attempt to straighten it just for fun, but I think this one is going to scrap:

Hello dolly!

Like a baby in its cradle:

What I did was jack the car up with the frame attached then pushed my stub frame cart in and lowered the car back down.
The frame was then unbolted from the body. Now free the body was jacked up and jack stands put under.
The stub frame could now be rolled out, the body was then transfered to the board with casters on it.

Alan

hum.. nice work !

if you see another 300 in a yard near you tell me ! :)

I just bolted a board with casters to the body and made a simple cart for the stub frame.

2010-10-28_002.jpg

Alan

Yes, I did over-engineer it a bit with all of the wood and four casters rated at 350 lbs each, but I wanted the car to rest 18 inches so I could roll under as it sits and to be able to lift it up at the center of the dolly with the jack if I wanted.

Back