Road Trip Skyline Drive, Virginia

I've done this on our Goldwing in 2010. Beautiful part of the country:thumbsup:

We plan to do it again in the Polara some day now that I have the disc brakes on the car.

When I was a miniature child growing up in Chesapeake ( Great Bridge) we used to go there
every once in a while in the summer months... Was always a very beautiful place...
We also hit up the caverns while there.... Quite the sight to see...

Absolutely. When my mobility improves I want to see the Luray Caverns at the north end. I have heard they made major improvements to the walkable passages.

Absolutely. When my mobility improves I want to see the Luray Caverns at the north end. I have heard they made major improvements to the walkable passages.
We went to the Skyline Caverns at the north end in Front Royal...

upload_2019-6-11_19-40-18.jpeg

upload_2019-6-11_19-40-41.jpeg

The Luray Caverns is a favorite of mine. I went through there as a kid and then again about 10 years ago. They have a great car museum attached too.

There's also Cooter's Garage in Luray - for the Dukes of Hazard fans. I had a nice conversation with the man himself about 20 years ago when it was located in Sperryville.

Cooter's Luray

I've done this on our Goldwing in 2010. Beautiful part of the country:thumbsup:

We plan to do it again in the Polara some day now that I have the disc brakes on the car.
We did it by cycle the same year, 2010. Great trip, we camped every night but one.

Took the Ram on a road trip to Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National park. Its 109 miles on top of the mountain and follows part of the Appalachian Trail too. It is 142 miles from my house to the north entrance at Front Royal, Virginia. Kind of cold and in the 40's.

View attachment 293385

Brings back memories as a kid. Grew up in Harrisonburgand Petersburg until 65 when we moved out west. I have cousins in Harrisonburg and Newmarket

You sure know how to live Bob! Glad to see you doing a lot of sightseeing. Much progress since the last couple years.

You sure know how to live Bob! Glad to see you doing a lot of sightseeing. Much progress since the last couple years.

I was always the adventurer in the family. I have been all over the world. The rest of my family including 7 siblings never ventured more than 100 miles from Milwaukee.

I was always the adventurer in the family. I have been all over the world. The rest of my family including 7 siblings never ventured more than 100 miles from Milwaukee.
I have a severe case of wanderlust, get that from my Dad.....that and looking for great pie. Once rode from SW Wisconsin to Twin Harbors. MN to get a piece of pie (ala mode of course) at Betty's Pies

The rest of my family including 7 siblings never ventured more than 100 miles from Milwaukee.

Isn't that crazy. I've got some in-laws like that. They will refuse to go anywhere more than a 1/2 hour drive from home. As far as I know they've only been to the beach a hand full of times (4 hour drive) and have never left the state. I don't get it. Seems like a waste of life to me...

Yes they were a great cool(literally) place to go to to get away from the heat down below.
Blew me away that the temps were in the 90+ range in the valley & a nice moderate temp of about 70 on the skyline drive

Isn't that crazy. I've got some in-laws like that. They will refuse to go anywhere more than a 1/2 hour drive from home. As far as I know they've only been to the beach a hand full of times (4 hour drive) and have never left the state. I don't get it. Seems like a waste of life to me...

My Dad never went farther then Green Bay and Chicago from Milwaukee. He was 80 when he died in 2009 and never even was on a plane. Not once. Yet when we were kids we use to go to Billy Mitchell International Airport and watch the planes taking off and landing for hours. I tried numerous times during my 20 years in the Army to get him and my Mother to come and visit me in Germany. He said he would visit me when I got back to the States. Well, that never happened. Not even after I retired in 1996. However, my Mother and youngest brother did visit me in Germany for a month in 1989.

Nice trip and a great way to spend a day Bob.
I travel the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive from Ashville NC to Front Royal every summer. It's my chosen route to Carlisle. I usually allow three days for the trip, camping along the way.

Nice trip and a great way to spend a day Bob.
I travel the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive from Ashville NC to Front Royal every summer. It's my chosen route to Carlisle. I usually allow three days for the trip, camping along the way.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is on my list for this fall.

I'm really looking forward to that trip.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is on my list for this fall.

I'm really looking forward to that trip.

It's a pretty area and a nice drive, especially on those late summer early fall days. Just make sure you check to see if there are any closures in the area you intend to drive, which usually happens to me for some reason, but I usually go spur-of-the-moment when I'm in the area.

Back