Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway Cruise Apr 2021

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I took the Ram and attempted to make a run on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Skyline Drive was beautiful as usual, 88° and I drove the entire 105 miles with no problem. Continued on the Blue Ridge Parkway and made it south to about Roanoke, VA. I decided to stay at the Hilton in Roanoke. Very, very nice and the room was only $140. Got back on the Parkway and ran into a closure on the Parkway. There was a slope that gave way and the road slid down the mountain. So they had about 15 miles of the Parkway closed off. They said it's going to take 12-18 months to make road repairs. The detour wasn't marked very well and after an hour traveling on 220 or 221 I was running into more road detours and taking me farther away from the Parkway. I had enough and hit the home button on the Nav. I'll map out a clear path and attempt another run this summer or fall.

I have a few pictures and a little more when I process my camera data later today.

The Ultimate Road Trip on the Skyline Drive Through Shenandoah National Park - Road Trips & Coffee Travel Blog

20210427_140851.jpg

Last edited:
Driving the Ram with all the windows and sunroof open. Beautiful day!!!

20210427_140425.jpg

Hate it when detours ruin the experience. But sometimes those detours can be interesting.
Glad to see you out enjoying America the Beautiful.

I love hitting the road and seeing America.

I'm a traveler and have been lucky to wander all over the world.

I have a hell of a bucket list of places I'm going to visit before I check out permanently.

There was a slope that gave way and the road slid down the mountain. So they had about 15 miles of the Parkway closed off.

The Western NC part of the Blue Ridge Parkway really isn't too far out of the way for me but every time I take a moment to ride down it, it always seems to be shut down where ever I'm at. I don't think I've seen more that 10 miles of it. It's almost funny because I'm in the area every month or two.

I have a hell of a bucket list of places I'm going to visit before I check out permanently.
I have one item left. Just one.
It's a fantasy but without fantasies, why bother waking up tomorrow.
I want to hope into a six speed and take a road trip and meet friends from FCBO.

I have one item left. Just one.
It's a fantasy but without fantasies, why bother waking up tomorrow.
I want to hope into a six speed and take a road trip and meet friends from FCBO.

We will meet someday Stan!

I drove past these guys on the road on Skyline Drive when they were searching for the teenager from Jersey.

We love taking a ride on the parkway. One day we plan on driving from one end to the other.

We love taking a ride on the parkway. One day we plan on driving from one end to the other.

100 feet past the northern end of the Parkway starts Skyline Drive and heads north for another 105 miles on top of the Appalachian Mountains. I haven't driven the entire Parkway yet. I did make it about 100 miles south into Carolina on a previous trip. I think Skyline Drive was better constructed with a lot of stone work at the overlooks. I believe the CCC constructed Skyline Drive during the Depression. At the northern end of Skyline Drive there is the Luray Caverns which are definitely worth seeing.

Back