Road Wheels

What do you mean by a dust coat Chris? I have zero skills with paint.

Put a couple of very light coats on the tape line. So light that even after two coats it's still not covered. Let it dry for 10 minutes or so and go ahead and put your regular coats of paint on. The light coats will stop your heavier coats from running under the tape.

Mine looked like that when I bought them. I sandblasted them. Well, well worth it.

You did the sandblasting on had somebody do it?

The craft shop has a bead blaster that I could blast them with...

Put a couple of very light coats on the tape line. So light that even after two coats it's still not covered. Let it dry for 10 minutes or so and go ahead and put your regular coats of paint on. The light coats will stop your heavier coats from running under the tape.

Thanks Chris! I want to do this right the first time and hopefully never have to do it again.

I have one of these cheapo units. Paid around $120 for it at Tractor Supply.
CAUTION Don't use this in your living room :p

ALC-Sand-Blaster.jpg

ALC-Sand-Blaster.jpg

Very cool!

Off to the craft shop I go...make a mess somewhere else.
Not really, the one at the craft shop is enclosed.

Did you primer it before shooting the gloss black on the back side?

ALC-Sand-Blaster.jpg

What kind of compressor power do you have running that unit? I've been looking at a similar unit but they seem to need CFM volume equal to what I have in my shop not my 20Gal craftsman 3HP at home.

What kind of compressor power do you have running that unit? I've been looking at a similar unit but they seem to need CFM volume equal to what I have in my shop not my 20Gal craftsman 3HP at home.
60 gallon Husky Pro
It just about keeps up. It does take a time-out on a couple of occasions to catch it's breath.

3dbd6add-a849-41e0-b907-fe5c60c42d37_300.jpg

ALC-Sand-Blaster.jpg
I bought one of these at Harbour Freight on a whim, big mistake...

If his worked as bad as the one I bought, It was a lot of media for very little effect. Something like your wheels, it may have done better than what I had hoped to use it for.

Stan did you blast just blast the backs or did you tape over the chrome and blast the fronts too?

Stan did you blast just blast the backs or did you tape over the chrome and blast the fronts too?
Taped and the blasted everything that wasn't taped.
I doubled up on the tape and pointed the gun away from the edges so the blasting didn't peel it back.
And yes, it does go through a ton of sand. But if you're using the craft shop, it's a moot point.
Psychologically, I find sand blasting very satisfying. Must be a Freudian type of thing...

Psychologically, I find sand blasting very satisfying. Must be a Freudian type of thing...

I find it horribly tedious. That may be because one of my first jobs involved standing at a cabinet, glass beading parts.

I'd go after the backs of the wheels with a needle scaler. Cheap, easy and no huge mess.

I'm using the info gleaned from this thread to restore a set of road wheels as well. After wire wheeling them and cleaning up the chrome they are ready for paint. I seem to remember someone here mentioning using a spray masking material to cover the chrome or using vaseline to protect the chrome or centers from overspray. If anyone has tried this method please let me know how it works. I also looked up the center domes and caps at work. The domes pn#3699011 are available at vintage parts they have 44 instock but no caps pn#3580365 - 1978 NYB used pn#3580360 which are also no longer available so if anyone has an alternative source please pm me. Ill post the vintage part price tomorrow once i talk to them.

Pics for you all...one rim untouched for comparison
IMG_5781.JPG
IMG_5782.JPG
IMG_5778.JPG

Back