scarebird disk brake conversion on 1964 880

Welcome to the forum! ! You need a disc specific master cylinder. The drum master cylinder doesn't have enough volume to provide enough fluid for the calipers.

Jake, what Master did you use? I converted a 65 New Yorker and the drum M/C just can't do the job.

I did the same conversion on my 65NYer. New lines by Inline Tube, new MC from a 72 Chrysler, rebuilt power booster by Cardon, Scarebird conversion, Galaxie rotors and Dodge calipers. I can not get the brakes to lock up. I have a 67 MC from a Chrysler 300 but just wanted to check and see if there is anything I am missing before I swap the MC out. Any ideas?

I have the same Scarebird setups on one of my '58s. I used the '67 master cylinder as it has a slightly larger bore of 1.125 inch compared to 1.032 inch on the '72 master cylinder. This matched the master cylinder bore for what the calipers used on the Ram trucks.

somewhere in one of my posts is a link to the M/C - available at vatozone or orlys , i gave like $14.95 + tax...

So, the front bore is for the front brakes and the rear bore is for the rear brakes. It appears that the larger chamber is in the rear on Mopar and on a GM MC the larger chamber is in the front. So, on the Mopar, the front chamber is smaller and is for the front brakes. If that is correct, we may have the lines reversed. Am I catching on?

The chamber closest to the booster is the front brakes and the one closest to the front of the vehicle is the rear brakes.

I may be in the market for a Scarebird conversion. I have a few questions for either the OP or anyone who'd know.
-when using the 94-99 Ram calipers, do you use the Ram brake hoses as we'll?
-does the Scarebird kit include hardware to mount the calipers to their adapter plates?
-with the Galaxie rotors, what year of Fury bearing do you use or can you use the Galaxie bearing? (OP said he used Fury bearings)
Thanks everyone

I may be in the market for a Scarebird conversion. I have a few questions for either the OP or anyone who'd know.
-when using the 94-99 Ram calipers, do you use the Ram brake hoses as we'll?
-does the Scarebird kit include hardware to mount the calipers to their adapter plates?
-with the Galaxie rotors, what year of Fury bearing do you use or can you use the Galaxie bearing? (OP said he used Fury bearings)
Thanks everyone
No on the Ram hoses. They are kind of weird compared to car hoses. Scarebird will provide part numbers for 3 different length hoses that depend on your specific application (you will have to measure the length you need for you car). I ran new steel lines when I did mine so I could use whichever length brake hose I wanted. Either way, they will still be over the counter items at most parts stores.

The only hardware needed to mount the calipers is the standard caliper bolts that should come with your new caliper. Look at Jake's pictures above. The nut for the caliper bolt is welded to the new bracket in the Scarebird kit.

The bearings are standard A2 and A6 bearings. This is probably what your C body has originally. If the Autozone/Advance Auto person needs a specific vehicle to looks up, tell them 70-72 Plymouth Fury.

Reviving this old thread cause it seems to have the most good info on Scarebird conversions around here. I'm currently ordering all the other parts for my conversion. What wheel seals are you guys putting into these? The seals from the '72 Ford?

I too have just installed my Scarebird conversion. I tried to keep the original MC and booster, but I am having trouble getting peddle. I have replaced all lines with a Inline tube set. Looks great, just need a good peddle. What have I done wrong?
Need to know year and model to help more.

OK, I am there. I can lock them up!!!!! I watched "You Tube" and found a brake booster rebuild. They featured a dual diafram (sp?) brake booster. They were from an Imperial or a 440 Road Runner or something. I got the booster from Murray Park and Booster rebuilt out in Washington. I am a happy camper. Just wish someone would have told me that the single diafram brake booster would not work. Happy, happy, happy!

Hey Boyd,

Good to have a heads up, I hadn't ordered a new booster! Got the parts list from Scarebird and everything is in the mail now.

:icon_fU:Great info! Thanks for the update on the booster!!
OK, I am there. I can lock them up!!!!! I watched "You Tube" and found a brake booster rebuild. They featured a dual diafram (sp?) brake booster. They were from an Imperial or a 440 Road Runner or something. I got the booster from Murray Park and Booster rebuilt out in Washington. I am a happy camper. Just wish someone would have told me that the single diafram brake booster would not work. Happy, happy, happy!

Thanks for the write up OP,(better late than never), how is the system holding up? Did you get many miles on it before winter?
Does that bearing race adapter fit on the spindle pretty tightly, like an interference fit?
Thanks for the simple and clear documenting, great looking car!!!

The bearing adapter fit very tight, I used the castle nut and some pipe to almost press it into place with the spindle. I believe I have around 1000 miles on the car since I did this and have not had any issues. Thanks for the compliment.

Back