Scenicruisin'..?

Anybody remember the Vixen RV?

View attachment 217275

Never heard of one till today... thanks.

Wikipedia: The Vixen was a recreational vehicle designed by Bill Collins and built from 1986 until 1989. A total of 587 Vixen motorhomes of three different types were built: the Vixen 21 TD, Vixen 21 SE, and Vixen 21 XC. Often noted as the "Driver's RV", it has an exceptionally low center of gravity and wide stance for an RV.

Length: 21 ft
Width: 7 ft
Chassis: Welded steel frame w/ fiberglass body
Transmission: Renault 5-speed manual w/ overdrive; GM 4-speed automatic w/ overdrive (Limo only)
Body style: Recreational Vehicle
Engine: 2.4L 115hp BMW I6 M21 Turbodiesel; 3.8L 165hp GM V6 3800 series (Limo only)
Class: A

vixen 1.jpg
vixen 2.jpg
vixen 3.jpg

vixen 4.jpg

Screw all that...This is what you need.

Landmaster.jpg

Anybody remember the movie? I had to find the pic and even after seeing the title, still don't remember that being the title. LOL. One article said one was built in 1976 for the movie at $350,000 in 1976 dollars.

$250k should tidy it right up.

Kevin
At the risk of getting back on topic... lol

for sale 1956 scenic cruzer motorcoach $3000

Kevin

$250K will just about do it, yes..:)

My whisperer looked at this coach...we also have it in this thread somewhere

First, I aint gonna diss this coach .. It IS fairly priced. It DOES have some good parts.

BUT its partially "customized" and unfortunately NOT so well done. It will leak, monocoque issues (squeeks, stress/fatigue issues due to poorly placed rivets, panels of unknown quality/grade, etc ) are likely, and it CANNOT be OEM again but must be redone to be usable.

Anyway, the orange areas on the pristine bus
00-1-2-3.jpg

vs. this one is the real issue. This one just got not quite enough professional attention in its history.
00-1-2-4.jpg
00-1-2-5-0.jpg

Stumbled across something today ... talking to my Whisperer. His advice to me was buy the next decent PD4501 that comes up even if I have to hold it 6 more years

Hemmings/others do this thing they call "carspotting". take an old pic, see something interesting but obscure in the pic, then see if anybody can find that exact vehicle today.

Guess what they found? Hemmings article Sept 2018

1965, Lodge Freeway, Detroit MI.
00-1-2-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-4.jpg

Source: https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/...n-a-vintage-bus-based-on-a-carspotting-photo/

"Bus nerd alert! I saved the photo and enlarged it. If the fleet number on the Scenicruiser reads 4406 (like I think it does), the coach survives today! I have two Scenics, and keep track of survivors by fleet number, serial number, owner, and location. This one happens to be owned by a buddy of mine in Iowa (he has two as well). Finding a “revenue service” photo of your particular coach is heaven for guys like us! He will love this photo. Sometimes, you get really lucky and find two or three old “revenue” photos years later. We already have one for s/n 303 when it belonged to Glendale High School (CA) in the 1970s. Thanks Daniel!"

Serial number: PD4501-303
Ownership history:
Richmond Greyhound Lines R-2178
Eastern Greyhound Lines 4406
Glendale High School (CA) 1975
Gilbert – Pheonix, AZ 1986
Jeff Wiley – Marion, IA 2009
Jeff also owns PD4501-059

Story gets cooler -- somebody had a pic of it in 1980 when Glendale CA HS owned it.

Greyhound4501-303-970x660.jpg

And since they know the guy in Iowa who owns it today .. here in 2018 ... they are trying to find it. Wonder what it looks like now. I stay tuned and post whatever turns up.

Ya know .... oh my. :):):)!

00-1-2-5-1.jpg

FWIW, the $3000 bus has all the doors and the forward facing glass looks good, a set of alcoa's too... she's a worthy investment as a parts mule. The raised roof has already almost killed her, so you could be low guilt taking her to pieces.

Some things to consider... A nice sharp air chisel, held nearly flat, should take the heads off the rivets pretty efficiently... and still not damage the panels. If you had to secure outdoor storage until you could get to her, she's already in the right climate. The current remodel will take a smallish dumpster to get rid of, leave it behind in AZ. The dismantlement is a bus is a huge job, but in the right time of year, AZ weather would be wonderful for doing so. A box truck to move the valuable bits to the warehouse back home would be an easier trip, and a lift gate would make loading much nicer.

IDK nearly as much as the Whisperer, but if this one was to be brought back, I'd want the framework exposed and repaired while the skin was off and the glass was safe. If she has the right bones, she might be a good redo candidate still. I know folks seldom go so deep into the chassis on a conversion, but every PD-4501 has been run through the wringer so many times, it makes sense to me. I know there will be structural metal you'd want to replace somewhere on one.

Good plan Jeff .. "great minds" as they say :)

My idea:

1. Buy this AZ bus for parts - now! Whisperer agreed six months ago citing almost identical reasons/stratey as you did. Its got good parts. Good bones? -- Not sure. I own enough warehouse space to store 10 of this buses along with the fleet.

2 Find PD-4501-303 and see what shape its in and IF Mr. Wiley wants to sell it. Why? How cool for me to have one that i KNOW was in Detroit at least once AND I can prove it.

3. Make ONE good bus outta two .. assuming #303 needs it.

Rebuttal to my own idea:

4. I am LOATHE to "kill" the AZ coach on PRINCIPLE .. there's only 100 or so of these coaches left in the world and perhaps somebody with the lettuce and the interest can bring it back. Yup, LOW guilt given how badly its been treated, but not NO guilt IF i was the one responsible for its complete destruction.

5. Budget is still $250K .. but I have seen MANY examples of OTHER buses (Buffaloes, Eagles, WanderLodges, 20yr old Prevosts, FLXies) I dig and are drivable as is for 1/4 of that $$$. I do ok but am NOT such a high roller I can overpay by $200K for this dream of mine.

6. My acquisition budget (bus, plus transport) is $10K .. but that assumed I am buying a "project". Because of 4 and 5 above, and getting over my own vanity to build the bus the way I want, WHY buy a project? The AZ bus IS a BIG project as it sits.

Next Steps

7. I am gonna see if the guys mentioned in the Hemmings piece -- scenicruisers.com-The most distinctive greyhound on the road -- can help me find Mr. Wiley's #303.

8. Also, reconnect with the AZ seller to understand how "mobile" his coach is and work on transport and/or storage options.

Back