Scenicruisin'..?

00-1-2-6-jpg-jpg.jpg
Is this riding on bags front and rear?

update

00-1-2-6-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

azblackhemi and an excellent reference he suggested helped me physically inspect this coach yesterday. nothing like experienced "eyes on" .. be it cars or coaches.

there's good news and bad news but I know what has to be done next.

I am in discussions with seller, given these new data, about the price for the coach ..before i invest any money in getting it moved 10 miles (its reliability/roadworthiness over any distance is a question now) to complete a "wheels up" inspection at another location recommended by azblackhemi.

That inspection could spook the whole deal in the end .. and to pay to drag it/inspect it but NOT buy it I'd already be in over a $grand$. I'd do it... IF the acquisition cost is right. Hence my current negotiations with seller on price.

Whisper is behind me on this .. at the right price. Even has me set up with a retired buddy of his who would freshen the interior at the cost of materials plus a test drive one day -- just cuz he LOVES Crowns. seriously. :)

anyway, that's "all the news that fit to print". will update here later on outcome.

update

View attachment 227262

azblackhemi and an excellent reference he suggested helped me physically inspect this coach yesterday. nothing like experienced "eyes on" .. be it cars or coaches.

there's good news and bad news but I know what has to be done next.

I am in discussions with seller, given these new data, about the price for the coach ..before i invest any money in getting it moved 10 miles (its reliability/roadworthiness over any distance is a question now) to complete a "wheels up" inspection at another location recommended by azblackhemi.

That inspection could spook the whole deal in the end .. and to pay to drag it/inspect it but NOT buy it I'd already be in over a $grand$. I'd do it... IF the acquisition cost is right. Hence my current negotiations with seller on price.

Whisper is behind me on this .. at the right price. Even has me set up with a retired buddy of his who would freshen the interior at the cost of materials plus a test drive one day -- just cuz he LOVES Crowns. seriously. :)

anyway, that's "all the news that fit to print". will update here later on outcome.
I wish you well and hope there aren't any unpleasant surprises. Like you say, it's good to have friends who can help you out.

A bit of help: Goal to get this B.O.B (Big Ole Boy)off his airbags and on the road (not to Michigan but to get around locally in AZ).

Need 10 tires, 12R 22.5 H or the equivalent. Can i get them good and used? If so, or if not, how mucn per tire is reasonable?

Need two "8D" 1950 CCA Batteries. Again, used options? If so, or not, how much per battery is reasonable?

Thanks to anyone with any guidance.

A bit of help: Goal to get this B.O.B (Big Ole Boy)off his airbags and on the road (not to Michigan but to get around locally in AZ).

Need 10 tires, 12R 22.5 H or the equivalent. Can i get them good and used? If so, or if not, how mucn per tire is reasonable?

Need two "8D" 1950 CCA Batteries. Again, used options? If so, or not, how much per battery is reasonable?

Thanks to anyone with any guidance.
Wish I could help, does this mean the purchase has been made?

I would try to avoid the tires for a ten mile trip, if you're just getting her checked out.

Wish I could help, does this mean the purchase has been made?

I would try to avoid the tires for a ten mile trip, if you're just getting her checked out.

naw boss .. no deal yet. I am planning for the "long game" however.

So, i am trying deal options with the seller -- i can PM you vs tell the whole world -- around certain elements that a purchase contract would need. My day job intruding on my hobby .. all i do is negotiate stuff under challenging conditions. This potential deal has wrinkles to iron out.

so "coach economics" around maintenance and repair and distanace in THIS case are new to me. Whisperer taking a pre-Holiday cruise with his wife (Big Deal for them) so I aint buggin him. Still time is of the essence. over a month into this i wanna wrap it up one way or another.

i have priced NEW tires ($300-$400 each) and NEW batteries ($400-$600 for a pair) -- BUT I don't have a sense of reliability/cost/practicality of USED items to keep acqusition costs down BUT also may be suitable to support a distance move plus get a few more miles/years out of them.

somebody with experience with this class/duty cycle of maintenance items gotta chime in I hope :)

thanks.

Last edited:
Maybe Chris or one of our trucker friends can tell you how to put hands on 22.5 takeoffs for cheap. AFAIAC new steering tires are a must for the big road trip, and I wouldn't push things on the drive tires either.

I suspect most of the hardware for the suspension and brakes is pretty standard stuff, so should be easy enough to get repairs done. I'll send you you a PM.

anybody with a view. ALL position tires, vs steer/drive designated tires. what's best to use, or it doesnt make any real diference?

thanks for any ideas.

All position is a compromise between the specific needs of each position.
It's used mearly as a convenience.
Drive tires and steer tires are in my opinion, safer.

Same for All Season tires vs. Summer tires and ice & snow tires.

For that application, steer on the steer axle, all position on the rest.

I would recommend at the very least a brand name tire on the steer ie Michelin or similar. Drives aren't quite so critical because they are duals but keep in mind one of those tires can do a huge amount of damage to the coachwork should it come unglued at speed.

Kevin

i got the all-position idea from the spec in post #902. doesnt mention steer vs drive, OR its assumed operator would know the difference?

whisperer is back end of week .. thanks to all for keeping me afloat on this deal since my knowledge is poor in this area. :)

00-1-2-2-2.jpg

I agree with Kevin put steers on steer axle. Name brand would be preferable but I don't because of my in and out of Mills and local work. Drive lug tires are noisey and as mentioned don't roll well, and with a single drive and a 8v92 you will not have traction issues.
If the tires on it show a cupping pattern you have a loose bearing, if worn out of round you have a balance or shock/suspension problem. Dual wheels must be equal in tread height to wear evenly otherwise the smaller tire will wear out fast, best kept as matched set.
On balancing it's a matter of opinion, I use the powder, always dynamic. The centrimatic rings work the same way but more money and calcuim crap they put on the roads in the winter eats the aluminum and they fall apart. Weighted wheels (like cars are balanced) only work if wheel is kept clean.
@cantflip If I knew a place that sold tires cheap I would keep it to myself and buy them all.
Do you have to run 12R 22.5
11R 22.5 is much more common and most likely cheaper. Can also come in a 16 play rating.
First thing I would do for reliability after you own it is put a new modern starter on it those old 42m/t delcos had their day but you cannot find a decent reman one anywhere. Make the switch to a new style 30 something m/t it will start it on one battery.

Last edited:
I agree with Kevin put steers on steer axle. Name brand would be preferable but I don't because of my in and out of Mills and local work. Drive lug tires are noisey and as mentioned don't roll well, and with a single drive and a 8v92 you will not have traction issues.
If the tires on it show a cupping pattern you have a loose bearing, if worn out of round you have a balance or shock/suspension problem. Dual wheels must be equal in tread height to wear evenly otherwise the smaller tire will wear out fast, best kept as matched set.
On balancing it's a matter of opinion, I use the powder, always dynamic. The centrimatic rings work the same way but more money and calcuim crap they put on the roads in the winter eats the aluminum and they fall apart. Weighted wheels (like cars are balanced) only work if wheel is kept clean.
@cantflip If I knew a place that sold tires cheap I would keep it to myself and buy them all.
Do you have to run 12R 22.5
11R 22.5 is much more common and most likely cheaper. Can also come in a 16 play rating.
First thing I would do for reliability after you own it is put a new modern starter on it those old 42m/t delcos had their day but you cannot find a decent reman one anywhere. Make the switch to a new style 30 something m/t it will start it on one battery.
Thanks Dave... mine takes 11R 22.5's... If I were buying, I'd want 16 ply on front. My current tires are not only ancient, the fronts are mismatched metric sizes and the backs are retreads.

Thanks Dave... mine takes 11R 22.5's... If I were buying, I'd want 16 ply on front. My current tires are not only ancient, the fronts are mismatched metric sizes and the backs are retreads.
Metric sizes in truck tires are low profile. Inches are not low profile, they make it easy for is truck drivers. Michelin flip flops thier numbers for their low pro compared to everyone else, I guess measuring sticks and calculators work a little different in France.

Back