Scenicruisin'..?

I'd like to know if this one has been on the radar before... could be a diamond in the rough.

NOT seen this to my recollection. AND its in the neighborhood of my WNY operations ...and I could twist the Whisperer into a road trip from Michigan. thanks.

Well Jer when I started working for Phoenix Transit in '89 we still had a bunch of 8V92's in our old Flex's, AM Generals and the first Generation RTS's. I think they got around 4MPG's if my memory serves. I do remember they screamed like a bat out of hell. They accelerated very quickly compared to everything that followed.
The thing I remember most 'bout those old Detroit's waz that when you parked them you had to hang a big plastic tarp under 'um to catch the oil still oozin' out of 'um, lol BTW, Theirs ah Meat Haulin' outfit in San Antonio with an old Diamond parked it its own garage down there with ah 12V in it that the last time the company ran it, Louisiana State patrol blocked I-10 over near Slidell to get it stopped and the company had to ship truck and trailer back to S.A. By rail, lol. 'Nother one ah them stories very true and too hard to make up, Jer

The thing I remember most 'bout those old Detroit's waz that when you parked them you had to hang a big plastic tarp under 'um to catch the oil still oozin' out of 'um, lol BTW, Theirs ah Meat Haulin' outfit in San Antonio with an old Diamond parked it its own garage down there with ah 12V in it that the last time the company ran it, Louisiana State patrol blocked I-10 over near Slidell to get it stopped and the company had to ship truck and trailer back to S.A. By rail, lol. 'Nother one ah them stories very true and too hard to make up, Jer
Very true Jer. That's why we called them "Dripdroits" :lol:

So Ray, any updates?
yeah bro .. will provide this evening. thanks!

largely disappointing experience so far

what I found out seller added to listing. 1949 model coach, not running, hasnt moved/run in 2 decades, no title --- just wants it gone.

Whisperer gave me a list of Brill-specific stuff. He's mostly not happy (no title thing really bugs him - all the time):

(a) it isnt running, but told me to re-power it (but NOT sure with what given clearances he recalls) unless i was building a "parade" coach that gas Hemi would bankrupt me otherwise,

(b) it has sat too long for his comfort - its gotta freely roll before transport,

(c) he would want it up in the air/on the road before he'd recommend it for me even if it was a "free - come pick in up" deal), and

(d) BUT anybody with a Brill in resto, and didnt care about transport, its probably a great coach for parts and they should snap it up. Expect mechanics to potentially be big $$$$ tho​

Called seller back back three times with this advice/questions in hand. Radio silence in return through this very moment.

My "Spidey Sense" for unresponsive sellers (probably a nice person so NOT throwin' shade!!.. i am just talking about a BUSINESS deal) must be obeyed. Keep looking.

Thanks Chris for directing me to this Brill chief. I liked it. :)

Last edited:

what I found out seller added to listing. 1949 model coach, not running, hasnt moved/run in 2 decades, no title --- just wants it gone.

Whisperer gave me a list of Brill-specific stuff. He's mostly not happy (no title thing really bugs him - all the time):

(a) it isnt running, but told me to re-power it (but NOT sure with what given clearances he recalls) unless i was building a "parade" coach that gas Hemi would bankrupt me otherwise,

(b) it has sat too long for his comfort - its gotta freely roll before transport,

(c) he would want it up in the air/on the road before he'd recommend it for me even if it was a "free - come pick in up" deal), and

(d) BUT anybody with a Brill in resto, and didnt care about transport, its probably a great coach for parts and they should snap it up. Expect mechanics to potentially be big $$$$ tho​

Called seller back back three times with this advice/questions in hand. Radio silence in return through this very moment.

My "Spidey Sense" for unresponsive sellers (probably a nice person so NOT throwin' shade!!.. i am just talking about a BUSINESS deal) must be obeyed. Keep looking. Thanks Chris for directing me to this Brill chief. I liked it. :)

BTW I had GREAT chat with owner of the Scenicruiser TwoStick pointed me to. We'll see. :)
:BangHead:

I can't wait! The search has been fun, even from the sidelines but a lot of disappointment along the way.

:BangHead:

I can't wait! The search has been fun, even from the sidelines but a lot of disappointment along the way.

thanks boss. I get giddy, than disappointed, than giddy again.

Still kinda fun in a "thank you sir may i have another" sorta way .. i guess just like the car hobby in that respect sometimes -- but you just cant park your mistakes in the backyard as easily with a bus :)

we'll see. thanks (you and others) for following/participating in the "thrill of the hunt".

Last edited:
Here's one that doesn't need work. And the price reflects that. 1949 Flxible Bus
1949 Flxible Bus - $149000 (Corona Ca.) hide this posting
image 16 of 18
00000_2j74YptyhKb_600x450.jpg

00T0T_9r2cs8Dk6KF_600x450.jpg

00v0v_d7lM2vtnelG_600x450.jpg

00T0T_fcvHtrzGQ5S_600x450.jpg

00h0h_aEqtQQR9x5e_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_iyTj0v89Z5k_600x450.jpg

00505_i2tWIBZSL9S_600x450.jpg

00v0v_bBjHNNw8X6y_600x450.jpg

00N0N_aB1C1CEJxt2_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_6LwEgU55gkK_600x450.jpg

00505_a7fyB4qSBPO_600x450.jpg

00N0N_gyBMe93QTLj_600x450.jpg

00U0U_bkAtSdz9Aoy_600x450.jpg

00u0u_6AbEfcG6jK5_600x450.jpg

00J0J_anJgxBmDyZN_600x450.jpg

00000_2j74YptyhKb_50x50c.jpg
00T0T_9r2cs8Dk6KF_50x50c.jpg
00v0v_d7lM2vtnelG_50x50c.jpg

marker-shadow.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
1168 Paseo Tasco Cir.
(google map)

1949 Flxible Clipper

VIN: 7LPN605
condition: excellent
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 26857
paint color: blue
size / dimensions: 33
title status: clean
transmission: automatic

more ads by this user

Way to much to list. Last restoration was started in 2004 and took three years at a cost of $300K. Everything you can see is new or rebuilt. The Bus is powered by a 502 RamJet crate motor and a Allison 1000 World transmission. Has power steering, air brakes, alcoa alloy wheels and Michlins all the way around. Great cooling system with oil cooler and five cooling fans. Just added a 48" flat screen, micro wave and dual backup camera. Bus was in the shop last winter for eight weeks and every little thing I could nitpick was addressed. Another $25K but well worth it. Part of the last work was upgraded brake cans and auto slack adjusters. Making the brakes modern and dependable. I don't have room here to list all the attributes of the bus but please see pictures and contact me for any questions. The only thing not currently working is the speedometer. Still looking for the problem with it. This is a one of a kind Hot Rod Bus and as you can see in the pictures has won many awards for class and condition. As I said it would take pages to list all the improvements in the Bus even if I could remember them all. Would not be afraid to drive it anywhere. Bid with confidence, I know you will enjoy it as much as I have.

My "Spidey Sense" for unresponsive sellers (probably a nice person so NOT throwin' shade!!.. i am just talking about a BUSINESS deal) must be obeyed. Keep looking. Thanks Chris for directing me to this Brill chief. I liked it. :)

BTW I had GREAT chat with owner of the Scenicruiser TwoStick pointed me to. We'll see. :)
Sorry about the disappointment(s)...

"(no title thing really bugs him - all the time)"- I completely agree... only a true dickhead sells a vehicle without a title, maybe I'll grant an exception for a parts car, but you'd better consume most of it, because even the scrap metal place gives crap about titles on cut up ones. If it's worth selling, get the title yourself, then sell... I usually flag them on CL.

"(a) it isnt running, but told me to re-power it (but NOT sure with what given clearances he recalls) unless i was building a "parade" coach that gas Hemi would bankrupt me otherwise,"- I love the idea of the Hall-Scott, but even maintenance parts are super hard to find... I've seen distributor caps offered for stupid money... used.

Look deeper into the Crown busses... they had some with a Cummins(?) "pancake" diesel... but I couldn't tell you more about any of that. To reconfigure the bus for a more conventional driveline would be a killer fabrication job and cost a fortune.

AND... a seller who is too wrapped up in other crap to sell, shouldn't be selling.

spent at least 325,000 to sell for 149,000
Sounds about right. Just a bigger C-body.

Ray, even if you don't have the 149k now, think of the giant sucking sound your wallet is going to make every month doing a conversion. Monthly loan payments will be cheaper.

Chapter 2 starts today. I bought a Scenicruiser

It'll be a few months before I posted any more pics of the coach... that starts when it moves to my home base to get worked on. I will post pics of the whole thing .. probably will take 2-3 years before its done.

Well they are never "done" are they .. just ready for its screen debut.

Hope some of you all stick around and watch it play out. OR if you find good used parts (AC units, power & signal electrical stuff, sanitary system items, matched appliances) , for the RV conversion .. point them out to me. Got some nice Alcoas? keep me in mind.

Still gotta build my PD4501 on a budget -- the "Posse" is a demanding bunch :)

Thanks.

s-l1600-jpg.jpg
s-l1600-jpg.jpg
s-l1600-jpg.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-2-2.jpg
00-1-2-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-4.jpg
00-1-2-5-0.jpg
00-1-2-5-1.jpg
00-1-2-5-2.jpg

:thankyou::thumbsup: I love it .... Close to home and what you initially set out for... I applaud your effrts in sticking to your plan and desire . Most would have settled...

Congratulations on the purchase, am looking forward to seeing the gradual transformation.

Does she need a more modern engine for better economy if that's possible for a bus?

Yes ..she does. Early in this thread, i got lots of help on propulsion systems. My leaning is rebuild the 8-71 Detroit (the repowered mills all these coaches got refitted with in place of the two 4-71s they were born with).

There is a case for modern diesels -- but fuel economy for a design this old has inherent limits. I think my choice is 4-5 mpg (highway) with the oid iron to 8-ish (highway) with newer stuff .. in THIS coach.

It all leisure drving for me .. if I had to run a commercial business with this bus i'd go with modern propulsion fer sure.

Chapter 2 starts today. I bought a Scenicruiser

It'll be a few months before I posted any more pics of the coach... that starts when it moves to my home base to get worked on. I will post pics of the whole thing .. probably will take 2-3 years before its done.

Well they are never "done" are they .. just ready for its screen debut.

Hope some of you all stick around and watch it play out. OR if you find good used parts (AC units, power & signal electrical stuff, sanitary system items, matched appliances) , for the RV conversion .. point them out to me. Got some nice Alcoas? keep me in mind.

Still gotta build my PD4501 on a budget -- the "Posse" is a demanding bunch :)

Thanks.

View attachment 237861View attachment 237862View attachment 237863View attachment 237855 View attachment 237853 View attachment 237854 View attachment 237856 View attachment 237857 View attachment 237858 View attachment 237859

I think this is terrific! Congratulations to you on finding and buying this PD-4501. It is definitely a dream that is coming true for you. It makes me remember the quote that: "Someday is NOW!" Way-ta-go!

Now tell us what the Bus Whisperer has to say about your acquisition. . .

I think this is terrific! Congratulations to you on finding and buying this PD-4501. It is definitely a dream that is coming true for you. It makes me remember the quote that: "Someday is NOW!" Way-ta-go!

Now tell us what the Bus Whisperer has to say about your acquisition. . .

thx Rip. Whisperer is over the moon on this coach. I will summarize his initial thoughts here this wknd, stuff we are going to be looking out for before we start the build, etc.

I think I am going ALL Aluminum (like an "AirStream" trailer) on this one, with some accent colors here are there, Alcoas, silver roof, and I want to keep ALL the windows (Whisperer says not possible due to lavatory/shower/appliances .. middle two at least on one side have to go :()

BTW, Love that quote boss. "Someday is NOW". means more and more as the "personal" odo continues to click. :)

Last edited:
Back