Self park wiper motor not parking

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
hi members
I have a weird issue here that started last summer
After a brief rain storm I turned off the wipers and saw that the wipers refused to park
It’s a variable speed wiper setup

Looked in the FSM but there doesn’t have trouble shooting for this issue
Wipers work fine otherwise

I can only talk from my experience with my 3 speed wipers on my 69 fury and when they would not go into the park position. Mine worked normally when needed And the only way I could get them to the park position was to do it manually. As it turns out the transmission was shot on the wiper motor. I fixed it by replacing the wiper motor out of one of my parts cars. I’m sure you can get rebuilt kits if needed. Hope this helps

Do you have two speed wipers, or three speed? Both motors are different so we would need to know which one. A picture is better.

I'll see what ican come up with.
I simply turn the switch knob for a variable speed. No clicking to select a speed other than shutting them right off...

I think that's considered the 3 speed motor. But honestly, that's mostly guessing.

Chrysler used to sell a repair kit to fix the problem.

IIRC, there was a cam that broke off with some frequency.

Finnegan popcorn.PNG

I just remembered i have a spare motor from a 65 Polara... Perhaps that will work if I get ambitious enough to change it out.:lol:

This sounds like the problem I have with my 72 Newport. The wipers work fine but stop exactly where you shut them off. They don’t hide away anymore. And then once in a blue moon they will go one full cycle & tuck under where they should. :wtf: Any ideas?

Well, I guess I'm interest in this too as my wipers started doing the same thing as Moparwilks described.

the 69 plymouth service manual has a procedure for testing wiper motors. i'm not sure about other years, but it might be worth a look.

The wipers work fine but stop exactly where you shut them off. They don’t hide away anymore. And then once in a blue moon they will go one full cycle & tuck under where they should.

Sounds about right. They won’t park for weeks and randomly in a gas station parking lot they will reset and hideaway.

Everyone here with wiper problems NEEDS to remember that Chrysler has two distinct wiper motors, the 2 speed, and the 3 speed. the diagnosis for each is the same, but total operation is different.

THE PARK FUNCTION IS DONE BY REVERSING THE CURRENT FLOW TO THE MOTOR WHEN THE SWITCH IS TURNED OFF. If your motor stops when the switch is turned off, first check the ground strap on the motor. these have a habit of getting corroded, or breaking under the grommet where it bolts to the body. It has been mentioned about the cam and internal switch, this is to interrupt the current flow when the wipers park.

On the 2 speed motor the cam in the wiper linkage becomes longer and this is what moves the wipers into the hiding position.

On 3 speed wipers this is done internally in the motor, and each motor is different to each body line. ("B" body will not work on a "C" body, and so on).

In short, if your ground strap is good, then you are looking at rebuilding the motor, or replacing it.

FYI. If you want you to park them manually and hide them before you fix them. Run the wiper blades up to the apex and kill it. Then you should be able pull the arms back into the stowed or hidden position. If you get the slightest resistance cycle it again and try over. It might take a few times but do not force them down or you’re done for.

Back