Show me your raised whites!....please

I have been thinking on this idea for a while, since I brought Tux home. I won't high jack this thread but have tried a few things and they have held up. I need to a used Michelin defender and start with the experimenting.

Years ago I had black wall tires with big lettering that I painted in with just some simple white vinyl/rubber paint. Spray bomb but just sprayed into a small cup then used a small brush to paint the lettering....looked OK after 2-3 coats, but you really have to clean the tires well before hand with lacquer thinner to try and get it so not much black rubber compound bleeds through into the white.

I just replaced the 28 year old Goodyear Eagle ST tires that I put on my coronet back in 1995....Tires had maybe 5000miles on them but at that age I'm not risking a blow out, tires are a heck of a lot cheaper than the possible damage that could occur if a tire let go at highway speeds! I always liked the large block white letters used on the old Eagle ST and the cooper's were the only ones that were even close.

vC7WgDF.jpg

Thanks thrashing. I've been researching painting the letters and found too many problems. Mostly browning due to the excess heat tires generate. This utube guy goes over most of the problems.

There's also stick on raised white letters but all I see are influencer reviews who say everything is great. My mind just can't believe glue will hold for years during the constant flexing, bumping, rain, high temps and excessive g forces.

I'm kinda leaning towards getting these Hercules but I don't know anyone who has tried them. Hercules is owned by Cooper Tire, made in the USA and get the same ratings as Cooper Cobras.....soooo why do they make Hercules Tires then? Maybe for people such as me, who want something different and kind of rare?

Anyone knows if Hercules tires suck? They are a little less than the Cobras.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 18-12-04 H_P 4000 Tires by Name.png

Awww Shnikies!!! Mastercraft is owned by Cooper too. I like the word "Avenger GT", but "Mastercraft" just sounds weird.
572-hemi-powered-1968-dodge-charger-r-t-is-thoroughbred-detroit-muscle_7.jpg

Dang it guys. Now y'all got me wanting to put my factory steelies back on. Paint them back to black and wrap some raised Cooper Cobras around them.

My current wheel and tire combo are starting to show their age.

Has anyone used the Michelin Defender LTX 235/75R15 tires on any of their cars? They are not cheap, to say the least, but I would expect their performance in rain/snow to be very good.

View attachment 623404

Not a car, but I have them on my 2500HD 4x4 and they're great. They're quiet and the traction is pretty good for not being a winter tread. I've driven it almost 40,000 miles in 2 and a half years with these tires, and I'm guessing there's 10 to 15 thousand miles left until I replace them. I don't let tires get close to the minimum tread depth for state inspection, they're just not as safe. I pull a 33 foot camper a couple thousand miles a year with it. So, great tires, just pretty expensive like you said. I don't remember what they cost me, but I know they were a lot more than many other tires. (I just checked what they would cost me now, they're up to $320 apiece) I think they would be great tires for any application, including a car!
One of the problems with tires on our old cars is that if we don't wear them out in 6 years, we need to keep in mind that they're aged out. The tread compound has changed and they aren't going to hold to the road as well in dry or wet conditions and could cause an accident. With that, make sure you check the build date of any tires you purchase. You don't want to end up with a tire or all 4 tires that are a couple years old and have never been on wheels. Yes, you can have 1 tire out of the 4 a lot older than the rest. I've seen "new" tires with a build date just shy of 2 years old.
If you want to help keep tires from dry-rotting from the inside out, have them filled with nitrogen from new, it helps. It also doesn't expand and contract like air does.
Did you ever see someone doing a big burnout and the tires either don't smoke or there's very little smoke? Good indication they've aged out and have little grip, they can also come apart and destroy your car.

Here's the RWL's in 1991, the second time I painted the car, the first repaint was in 1980. Didn't like these tires and changed them to RWL BFG TA's after 1 summer. I still have those wheels.

1698281131792.jpeg

At this time it has 13 inch, 4 wheel disc brakes so the smallest wheel I can use is 17 inch. No more RWL tires......
Third paint job in the 43 years I've owned it....

1698281383726.png

@LocuMob , when i ran them on my 65 880 rag , i had to fold the rear lips up and run a 225/70x15 on it all around , as the pic of the front , but if i had changed the r/e to a b body like i did to the 67 300 rag , i could go wider , it's running a 245/60x15 on the rears .

DSC08125.JPG

DSC03371.JPG

DSC03372.JPG

DSC03389[1].JPG

@LocuMob , all i run is 15's bud , those are 15x8 1/2's on that rag . what car are you looking to out fit ?
My '66's. I'm running a 275/60/14 right now, but I can't find tires for a 14 in a size I want. I have room for the taller tire, and a little bit of room towards the leafs.

problem is these rims have pos offset , putting them outward on the track . but in the day wider was better . there was designs that kept and even pulled in the track width , for example the eary 'd' spokes had a 0.00 offset and even some negitive offset . but you would be fighting the shelby mustang crowd for them . even the ones ran on early vettes had the stanight up or negitive offset rims , but you would be changing rim bolt patterns and thats not cheap any more . so to get a good fit without draining your account would be a set of 7's and or 6's . still have to fight off the mustang and ford guys , amc , ect..... i don't have a set of sevens or sixs to spare . even my 8 1/2's are in low supply . i do have a set of four 15x8 1/2 200s's or daisies . but it's the only set i have and i'm thinking on putting them on that 67 300 rag , their offset is like 3/4 pos , that's a 1/2 less than my torq thrusts . and they came out in 68 , so it would be right in with the styling of the later 60's hotrod stuff .

DSC01976.JPG

Back