Side glass setting tape suggestions

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Cleaning up my side windows and would like to find side glass setting tape 1/16” thick. I have done some searches and it seems there are a couple of different kinds. One is specifically called cork and rubber and the other seems pretty generic. Is there anything magic about the tape Chrysler used in the late 60’s or should I just find a 10’ roll and go to work. Any recommendations accepted.
93B1C347-F69D-48D7-8336-4A6B416F4604.jpeg
28E03EB2-4E0A-4033-B147-1D71582B068B.jpeg

I have a big batch of it, couldn't get it to hold the glass worth a damn. Ended up taking it to a glass shop and having them glue it in.

So it won’t last 50 years like the last stuff?
Did you leave the tape in the channel as a gap filler and then they glued to that?

Nope, they just put the glass in and glued (some type of silicone I think). The window seemed a bit 'shorter' than before although that may have been partly due to the non identical vertical gasket on the rear quarter window too. I took the other side (driver's) in and had them glue it also, but I haven't tried reassembling that side yet. (Wanted to make some shows/meets this year.) On the second one I did try persuade them to leave a little gap on the bottom as if the cork was in there but I'm not sure I was getting through.

Now I am thinking maybe try the tape.
Then modify with glass sealer to reinforce. My tape measured 1/16” If it is 1/16” tape x front and rear is an 1/8” gap. If no spacer is used on the bottom of the channel. I wonder if the 3/32” tape would hold better?

I have a big batch of it, couldn't get it to hold the glass worth a damn. Ended up taking it to a glass shop and having them glue it in.

That's what I did with the rear pass. window on my convertible.

The glass guy used some kind of modern equivalent of the original channel stuff, and then glued it in.

The channel and the regulator are all one L-shaped cast piece which was broken at the corner.

It all went back together solid and fits/works well.

Well worth the $40, I spent that time on other things for the reassembly.

Hope the input helps.

John

The tape I have is 1/16 but I couldn't imagine trying to get the glass in the channel with thicker tape.

So it’s not the fit factor but the stick factor. Some heat activated adhesive on the tape could go along way. Slide the trim on and then hit it with a heat gun.

The ideas above at least give me a start. I have to polish the scratches out of the glass and the trim on all the windows before I worry about putting them back together.

Thanks

I wish there was A local 3M convenience store. That would be awesome. I could probably spend a day in there browsing their stuff.

So it won’t last 50 years like the last stuff?
Did you leave the tape in the channel as a gap filler and then they glued to that?

I just did this on the Monaco. Both front door glasses pulled loose from the channel tape. Tape was still in the channel but lost all tackiness to hold glass. Left it right where it is and used some black 3M trim adhesive I had laying around. Small bead along the back of channel and push in glass. Worked great.

Back