For Sale Simply, the finest-looking car ever made (imo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Contact seller
1957 Desoto Adventurer Hemi

Actually, I may favor the '57 New Yorker and Fireflite just a tad more (not overly fond of gold/white scheme). But wow. There isn't a damned Ferrari on the planet I'd take over this (except to sell it and buy two of these). In Michigan. Not far from me or Carmine, for that matter.
I'd feel privileged to scout it out.

From seller:

1957 Desoto Adventurer correct bare metal high end restoration. with the original drivetrain intact. All the original glass, RARE NOS steering wheel, nos seat materials, NOS lenses. Driven four hundred miles since just completed. Gorgeous high end restoration!

00E0E_3KxH3jRd87e_1200x900.jpg

00E0E_g7uTPyOmj9D_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_1ywgN9j4oJB_1200x900.jpg

00R0R_x2AzmHd8Hb_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_btSyRsAz7TY_1200x900.jpg

00x0x_iEOQAg87gDr_1200x900.jpg

00y0y_3viBCE3rvu6_1200x900.jpg

00202_lrk1NqSNrGU_1200x900.jpg

00707_fEoEFE6DlN9_1200x900.jpg

01313_69diHfLF50C_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
That is a stunner from every angle ! but the gold wheels got to go :stop: I'd be scared to drive it for fear of damaging anything or leaving it parked.

My favorite forward look car by a long stretch. Someone spared no expense in the restoration on this one - hope it finds a home with deep enough pockets......

Weren't quad headlights only allowed in some states in '57? I know Imps of that year had both versions (single and dual headlight) in'57, but did DeSotos have them as well?

ImpSingleHeadlight.png

Gorgeous!:wideyed:
1957 Desoto Adventurer Hemi - $75000 (Clinton Township MI

My favorite forward look car by a long stretch. Someone spared no expense in the restoration on this one - hope it finds a home with deep enough pockets......

Weren't quad headlights only allowed in some states in '57? I know Imps of that year had both versions (single and dual headlight) in'57, but did DeSotos have them as well?

View attachment 262490

yup

1957_Desoto.jpg

desoto-firedome-1957-1.jpg

I don't understand? Why would someone go through all the effort, time, and expense to do a really nice job restoring a car like that and then when it is completed, turn around and post it for sale 4 weeks later at what has to be a loss? I certainly hope there is no bad story behind this move to sell.

It is just a beautiful work of art. Amazing times back then that stuff like this was even available when you think about it. What a shock these forward look cars must have been to Ford and GM.

Love the adventurer.The forward look had the best fins really.The only thing,i,ve read a few auction articles on these.Was that they were poorly put together for some reason.Reliability was poor.The great thing about restoration is that all the bugs are worked out of the car,and you end up with how it should have been.Adventurers were also more rare than chrysler 300 letter series.In the top 10 greatest 50,s designs as far as i,m concerned.It was another milestone design series by chrysler.All lines looked goof though some of the royal lancer fins looked a little excessive,i still kind of liked them.B.B

Love the adventurer.The forward look had the best fins really.The only thing,i,ve read a few auction articles on these.Was that they were poorly put together for some reason.Reliability was poor.The great thing about restoration is that all the bugs are worked out of the car,and you end up with how it should have been.Adventurers were also more rare than chrysler 300 letter series.In the top 10 greatest 50,s designs as far as i,m concerned.It was another milestone design series by chrysler.All lines looked goof though some of the royal lancer fins looked a little excessive,i still kind of liked them.B.B

Auction articles are usually off base. Yeah, Chrysler had some start up quality problems since the 57s were rushed into production earlier than intended but I never found my 57 Chrysler 300 C to be poorly designed or unreliable in any way. When I bought the car many years ago, it was located in Illinois, previously having been a California car owned by a friend of mine. I flew back to pick it up, and with over 100K on the odometer, I drove it straight through to Los Angeles with no issues. And since I fully restored it, it has been utterly reliable as well. And it is a solid car that rides, handles and accelerates very well. I didn't have to do anything special to get it that way either.

300C #1 (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1).jpg

Auction articles are usually off base. Yeah, Chrysler had some start up quality problems since the 57s were rushed into production earlier than intended but I never found my 57 Chrysler 300 C to be poorly designed or unreliable in any way. When I bought the car many years ago, it was located in Illinois, previously having been a California car owned by a friend of mine. I flew back to pick it up, and with over 100K on the odometer, I drove it straight through to Los Angeles with no issues. And since I fully restored it, it has been utterly reliable as well. And it is a solid car that rides, handles and accelerates very well. I didn't have to do anything special to get it that way either.

View attachment 262650
I hate you.....:lol:
Stunning, gorgeous, beautiful........

Wonder how many 300 C,s had a 4speed pont-a -mousson manual transmission.Anybody ever see one.Had a chance to buy one in 1980 for 1800.00 dollars but it needed a lot of metal and interior work.Rockers were rusted badly,quarters,front fenders.But dad would,t let me.heh,love the 57to59 letter series.The white one above is stunning.congrats!!.B,B

Wonder how many 300 C,s had a 4speed pont-a -mousson manual transmission.Anybody ever see one.Had a chance to buy one in 1980 for 1800.00 dollars but it needed a lot of metal and interior work.Rockers were rusted badly,quarters,front fenders.But dad would,t let me.heh,love the 57to59 letter series.The white one above is stunning.congrats!!.B,B

That gear box was only available one year - 1960 Chrysler 300F. Only a handful were built. Your dad was wise, as they really didn't hold up all that well. They were designed for Facel Vegas and the like, and really couldn't handle the stresses that the 400HP ram engine put on it in a relatively heavy 300F.

Facel Vegas are another car i love.Very sweet design with strong chrysler engines.I saw a mag. years ago that had a manual F model in it and a race car driver owned it.Somebody offered him 250,000.00 for it and he wouldn,t sell.Heh.Thanks for the info, i don,t always get all the facts right.B.B

Facel Vegas are another car i love.Very sweet design with strong chrysler engines.I saw a mag. years ago that had a manual F model in it and a race car driver owned it.Somebody offered him 250,000.00 for it and he wouldn,t sell.Heh.Thanks for the info, i don,t always get all the facts right.B.B

One year at Carlisle (the Chrysler meet) a Facel Vega showed up - pretty amazing to see one "in person," amazing to say the least......

Never knew that a Chrysler was built with pont-a-mousson transmission.

Steve, your 300C is gorgeous. I'd take a 300C over the Desoto, but that's just me. Back in the early 90's I had the opportunity to buy my brother's 300C for $2500 that he was in the middle of a frame-off restore but life didn't allow it at the time. Here's a peek-a-boo photo of the car behind my Sportster back then. *sigh*
79_SportsterXLS_Poulsbo04.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back