Slant six c body

Plymouth man

Reaction score
Yall ever seen one of these 68 fury 3 slant 6 3 on the column

20240320_171248.jpg

20240321_162623.jpg

20240321_162614.jpg

Up here in New York, they used them as Taxi Cabs for a few years.....
A car you could put 500,000 miles on them......
( Before they used Checker Cabs --- the Checker Cabs mostly had six (6) cylinder 250 Chevy engines )

I would bet some of them still exist.....

Last edited:
I owned one of those about 30 yrs ago here in texas. It was a 2 door automatic. 198 cu inch. Moved pretty dang good to! Kinda wish I still had it now.

On the Fury III, seems like it was co-standard engine with the 318 2bbl? I would suspect more /6s in Fury I and Fury II models, due to their less expensive orientation. We know those cars were usually used up several times over.

By 1968, the general national economy was improving and people wanted "flash with dash", so the more upscale lower models were V-8s rather than not. Even if it was the "standard V-8" as it was termed.

Direct Connection and some other aftermarket suppliers had HOT ROD parts for the /6. Small AFB carburetors, headers, hotter cams, etc. But as good as the /6 was, it was vastly over-shadowed by larger Chrysler Corp V-8s, back then.

Durinig the design stage of the /6, Porsche was considered to be the premier 6-cylinder engine builder. That was the inspiration for camshaft development and cyl head design. Some neat stuff when you dig into "its roots". Can't forget the 1960 NASCAR compact car race at Daytona where, using factory performance parts, the Valiants ran away from the competitors!

Keep us posted with pictures as things progress!
CBODY67

Apparently the manifolds have been replaced, given the EGR valve.

The first year for the 198 was 1970. I'm told it used the same block as the 225.
My block was red so maybe someone just painted it, didnt like blue?!? If Im not mistaken there was a 170, 198 and the 225 motors. Dont know the years used in which car.

I had a '65 4-door Polara with a slant-6 (225) that I owned/ drove from about 1984 to 1995. Canadian car. Drove it on a couple of long trips, one was Toronto to Key West FL, another was to New Orleans. Power steering, power brakes, no A/C. Huge back seat...

I just replaced engine this one came out of a 77 d300 had to change flywheel clutch oil pan pickup tube valve cover is off orgnal engine still have original engine just needs new cam lifters and head work I bought this one for a hundred dollars about 4 years ago and decided to see if it was any good and it runs perfect

In the beginning, there was the 170 and the 225. The 225 had a stroke that was 1" longer than the 170. That long stroke helped lower-rpm torque a bunch. Although those who liked higher rpms gravitated toward the 170, it seemed.

You might look for the middle 1970s "Super Six" 2bbl intake, which uses a Carter BBD small 2bbl. The Edelbrock 4bbl intake might surprise some people, but would need dual exhaust to get the full benefits.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I just replaced engine this one came out of a 77 d300 had to change flywheel clutch oil pan pickup tube valve cover is off orgnal engine still have original engine just needs new cam lifters and head work I bought this one for a hundred dollars about 4 years ago and decided to see if it was any good and it runs perfect

Plymouth man -​

Can you tell me if this is the same as your Fury subframe - with /6 mounts?

068.jpg

That Haze Green 68 looks just like the Fury I Slant 6 auto I used to own. It was a stripped down thing... radio delete, no PS, no PB, just a heater for those Canadian winters up here. Great cars.

It seems that when it came to the C-bodies, it was the 4-door cars that got the slant 6. What's the reasoning for that? And hey, with the hoods closed we can't see the engines!

As good as the /6 might have been, not quite the definition of "sporty" to go with a sporty 2-dr hardtop.

Blue one has a radio. But that's it man.steer break drove green one yesterday . They dont have a lot of sound proofing either . Gravel rattles pretty good. Meant for pavement I guess.

No optional "Undercoat and Hood Pad", which was standard on higher trim levels.

Get a full-frame GM car on gravel and you'll hear similar. IF they had factory undercoat, it was usually in the wheel wells only. Which is why many GM dealers did up-sells of undercoating applications on new cars, back then.

Back