So....reformulated gas(10%ethanol)

Big Jay

Reaction score
I hear reformulated gas is murder on carbs. Anything I can do to offset the damaging effects of RFG? The nearest station with real gas is 40 miles away

Outboard 2 stroke oil with tc3 2 oz per 5 gallon of gas. Coats the internal parts with some oil and burns clean through combustion chamber.

I drive her. I've never heard of the 2 stroke oil trick. No plug fouling issues?

I hear reformulated gas is murder on carbs. Anything I can do to offset the damaging effects of RFG? The nearest station with real gas is 40 miles away

Stabil keeps the gooey by-products of the ethanol breakdown from coating the fuel system. Ethanol blends are always going to be crap. Also keep in mind if you decide to use Stabil, that it cannot be used with most octane boosters as they are not compatible and will produce even nastier problems when mixed together in your gas tank.

Outboard 2 stroke oil with tc3 2 oz per 5 gallon of gas. Coats the internal parts with some oil and burns clean through combustion chamber.

This stuff...
6b9ed4fd-b4b5-401f-96fb-e822dadde0d0_1.1e51b0c84dd9954f322f0832b2fbf78f.jpeg

I totally agree with Dave on this. Fuel and Additives In addition to this I'll run a Startron ethanol additive that can be bought at Tractor Supply or NAPA at times.

Stabil keeps the gooey by-products of the ethanol breakdown from coating the fuel system. Ethanol blends are always going to be crap. Also keep in mind if you decide to use Stabil, that it cannot be used with most octane boosters as they are not compatible and will produce even nastier problems when mixed together in your gas tank.

I never heard this one before, but I will bear it in mind.

keep in mind if you decide to use Stabil, that it cannot be used with most octane boosters as they are not compatible and will produce even nastier problems when mixed together in your gas tank
This is scary in the fact that if you use the car to take a trip and use gas from different refineries, tank farms, retailers. What kind of deadly mixture is brewing

I just read an article talking about how different the blends can really be. I may have to install a holding tank for real gasoline.

I'm just gonna say this and i'll surely be told that I'm wrong..

I just finished driving a dead-nuts original '79 Magnun (318-2) in a two mile parade. It took roughly an hour, so 1/2 mph. Car didn't do a single thing wrong, then I ate lunch with the family of the Navy vet who rode with me. (aka heat soak) Then I drove it home without incident. Only in the middle of the parade did I remember I was running on the last 1/4 tank of the 87 oct. cheap gas (probably from our local Kroger) that was in it when I garaged it 8 months ago.

Basically repeat the same story for my '70 Fury (sans parade).

Same thing with my Monaco, except I burn a lot more Kroger or Ghetto-brand gas. No electric fans, pumps, gadgets, additives, etc.

I don't do anything with my lawn equipment except run it dry on the last cut.

I don't think I've purchased more than a couple tanks of name-brand fuel in my life.

YMMV

IMG_20170528_153615.jpg

Last edited:
I put some of the stabil in my motorcycle every other tank or so. Use whatever brand of gas I happen to be near and never a problem. I don't use any other additives.

I'm just gonna say this and i'll surely be told that I'm wrong..

I just finished driving a dead-nuts original '79 Magnun (318-2) in a two mile parade. It took roughly an hour, so 1/2 mph. Car didn't do a single thing wrong, then I ate lunch with the family of the Navy vet who rode with me. (aka heat soak) Then I drove it home without incident. Only in the middle of the parade did I remember I was running on the last 1/4 tank of the 87 oct. cheap gas (probably from our local Kroger) that was in it when I garaged it 8 months ago.

Basically repeat the same story for my '70 Fury (sans parade).

Same thing with my Monaco, except I burn a lot more Kroger or Ghetto-brand gas. No electric fans, pumps, gadgets, additives, etc.

I don't do anything with my lawn equipment except run it dry on the last cut.

I don't think I've purchased more than a couple tanks of name-brand fuel in my life.

YMMV
You're WRONG!!!
Those wheels aren't original on that Magnum!
:poke:
:D

There is a product called Lucas Ethanol treatment . You can get that at Walmart or your local auto parts store . I keep a bottle of it the trunk of my '61 in case I need it.

Back