Something you don’t see often

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
At least not firsthand…
Yesterday was a great day to be a Detroiter. I went to Historic Fort Wayne to pay a visit to a friend that works for the Detroit Historical Society for some deep car related stuff that I’ve been looking forward to for some time and I will get to that here too eventually.
In the process of this bucket list event I was kind of blessed with this unexpected bonus that I never stopped to think how kool it would be to catch a firsthand glimpse of. I mean I knew this was happening of course because the local news will run updates on its progress and I even see occasional pics on my FB feed but it’s something that has only been in the background until yesterday.
How many times in your life do you see to countries being connected by a new bridge over a vast and storied waterway like the Detroit River??? And what a beautiful day it was to have it brought out of my background!
I could even hear the workers communicating occasionally over the sound of the equipment!
IMG_6661.jpeg
IMG_6662.jpeg
IMG_6663.jpeg
IMG_6664.jpeg
IMG_6665.jpeg

Just a short distance north is downtown and The Ambassador Bridge. All of these pics were taken from the same spot.
IMG_6666.jpeg
IMG_6667.jpeg

Great shots. Great location. You should stop by weekly or monthly for a shot from same spot to see the progress.

yup!

these are the kinda "once in a lifetime" pics they'll be marveling at 100 years from now.... no one will ever see them like this again. Ever.

examples. "big mac" (mackinac, upper michigan), golden gate, and brooklyn
24 history lesson.jpg
Screenshot_20231221-110811.png

Img_2023_12_21_11_07_00.jpeg

Before and coming soon. source: | Gordie Howe International Bridge
1703205046762.png
1703205003552.png

Canada, in upper left. Fisher Freeway (I-75) is diagonal, lower right, mostly everything else is new.
1703205294618.png

Last edited:
It's a beautiful CANADIAN bridge.

Anyone know the story of this bridge? USA didn't have much to do with it other than almost 30yrs of delays and trying to cancel it. It's crazy how much control some billionaires have over us and state governments.

To finally resolve it, Canadian govt said they would fund almost the entire amount and move original Detroit site downriver to this site...so thank the Canucks for this awesome bridge. Canada put up almost all the money, therefore Canada will get most of the proceeds from the tolls.

Michigan won't get hardly anything and will probably lose a lot in revenue/tolls since almost half car traffic and most truck traffic heads south, so the old bridge and tunnel north will have far less traffic. Bad decision not to do business with Canada.....and that's also why its called the "Gordie Howe Bridge" OHHHH CANADA!!!!

Last edited:
Back