Speedometer help.

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Had transmission changed and replacement one rebuilt. Speedo no longer works. It did previously. Checked all cables and speedometer head with a drill. Cables good, gear and housing good. Cables turn head just fine. Install gear in trans and attach cables and Speedo don't work. Installed according to FSM and still don't work. Tried gear and housing from bad trans, both same and 26 tooth. Appears gear doesn't mesh with tail shaft. No bushings on gear to change position. ANY IDEAS?

The spedo pinion housing is ecentric. Has gear ranges on it did you set it to mesh?

1695474165856.png

Yes. 32-38 per FSM. MAtched tires and rear as per chart and pinion is correct. Looks like it could use a bushing to hold it out closer to tail splines but didn't originally. I checked FSm and no bushing exist. I can install housing without the cable and can freely turn the gear without engaging tail shaft. It originally worked and is same parts and trans. Just kind of baffled at this point

You need it 26-31 if it is a 28 tooth. It will rotate/shift it closer. Have to be smarter then the generic pic they use in the FSM's. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Very useful thread when I tackle a replacement this winter, can someone explain why they have 3 different adapter settings and different pinions?
Why did they not just go with one pinion and adapter for all or is it due to engine size or is it something to do with the speedometer clusters.

Thanks in advance to Big John , Im feeling he has the answer and to others of course.

The different settings to my understanding now, thanks to big John, is because the gears are based on rear end ratio and tire sizes

Back