Starter w/ solenoid needed for '67 Newport

OneEyed

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my starter. Either it's that or the solenoid that is giving me problems. Can anyone point me to a good replacement? Please include a link. Thanks!

'67 Newport. 4 dr, base. 383.

Make sure it's not the starter relay giving you the problems first.

Personally I've been spoiled by the little Nipondenso starters Mother started using on the '88 and later 318s and 360s. They fit everything Mother put in every engine she sold from 1960 thru the last of the B-RB enginez, And the only thing you loose iz that groaning noise when you crank ah big block when it'z hot. And yah yah yah, even spell check won't help with the spelling of that little starter word

Personally I've been spoiled by the little Nipondenso starters Mother started using on the '88 and later 318s and 360s. They fit everything Mother put in every engine she sold from 1960 thru the last of the B-RB enginez, And the only thing you loose iz that groaning noise when you crank ah big block when it'z hot. And yah yah yah, even spell check won't help with the spelling of that little starter word

Agreed, I put one on Jazebelle and the results are amazing. Just lost the "ow...ow....ow...ow" sound. Rerouting the wiring was a little tricky though.

I've been running 3 JY mini's for the 13 years each with no problems, just geterdun!

O'Riellys had one in stock for me last year. Lucked out because I was stranded in a parking lot.

So I picked up a "better" starter at Advance Auto Parts the other day for $50. Gonna try and tackle it this weekend. Anything I should do while I crawl under there? I have an oil leak, so I might look for an oil pan gasket too.

Is swapping out the starter as easy as I think? Two bolts and a few wires? Do I need anything else?

Starter is as easy as you think.
The oil pan gasket isn't too bad by itself but you'll have to raise the motor a few inches to get it in there.
Good time to check idler arm and inner tie rods.

Starter install went remarkably well the other day. Turned in the core and had enough money to do an oil change. Used some Marvel Mystery oil too. It was way past due, oil was black and had lots of crud.
Car now starts and runs better. it's always nice to have a project go as smooth as this one did.

Back