Starters... Gear Redux or not

MarkS

Reaction score
I have a '65 NY'er 413, The starter is cranking VERY slow and, well... Smoking! I'm assuming it's time has past. Has anyone gone with a gear reduction starter? Pro's? Con's? Which one? discuss...

Check those battery cables first. Mine was doing the same thing cranking slow and drawing power like crazy. Like so much the cables were gettting hot. Swapped out the cables power and ground. Now it spins like my 4.7L in the Ram, fast as all get out. Worth a shot before you spend the cash on a new starter.

Chrysler starters are gear reduction from the factory. Any of the starter offered at your local parts store will be a gear reduction.

I put in a Bosch mini high torque starter on my BB because I had TTI's headers and couldn't
remove the original without removing the left header. What a pain! It kicks harder and faster
than the original but draws less amps. I did not need the style of starter with the extended nose
on the rear of the starter housing that the old one had. Apparently this extension fit into a recess
on the bell housing for the transmission to support the Bendix drive gear when cranking. Bosch
redesigned this area of the starter for extra strength. Bought it at APC and with all
taxes in $175. I tried one previously made by Powermaster but it detonated after just 3 months.
Denso also makes an excellent unit - you get what you pay for I guess because reliable units
are not cheap. Price should not be the only consideration when it comes to starters for engines
with high compression or you'll be doing it twice or more.

I've just grabbed a mini starter off a V6 or V8 Magnum in a Dodge ram truck or Van in the wreckers for $25, I've put them on everything from a 318 to a 440. Never had an issue, and in fact love them!

I've just grabbed a mini starter off a V6 or V8 Magnum in a Dodge ram truck or Van in the wreckers for $25, I've put them on everything from a 318 to a 440. Never had an issue, and in fact love them!

so any year will work? Just had my son in law look one over behind the counter at Advance and there is a plug on it and one stud instead of the traditional two stud.....

With the autoparts one the stud is batt power and spade is solenoid power. Use a female spade to mate with it

i have put in a mini starter long time ago, had the two nut terminals... I wanna say it was from a mid 90s Dodge Dakota or so!?

Back