Steering Box adjustment

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
For those of you suffering with a loose steering sector to worm shaft issue, here is the FSM for the power steering box on my Polara.
It looks like the same is used for all C bodies but you should confirm that first.

What surprises me is that the instructions indicate that all fee play be removed then add 3/8 to 1/2 turn to finish the adjustment...

Has anyone done this in the past?
If so what were the results of this adjustment?
steering box adjustment.jpg

What surprises me is that the instructions indicate that all fee play be removed then add 3/8 to 1/2 turn to finish the adjustment...

Has anyone done this in the past?
If so what were the results of this adjustment?

I've performed the procedure several times. It's purpose is to reduce some of the free play in the steering gear caused by wear, but won't compensate for worn steering parts.
The adjustments must be very minuscule, like 1/4 turns at a time. If adjusted to far the steering "return to center" can be lost and the adjustment cannot be reversed.
It's also not as effective on a P/S equipped car as it is on a manual steering gear.

Also does not produce great results if input shaft moves in and out, only way to tighten that is remove lock ring then turn cover in to preload bearings for worm gear. Good luck with that in the car and if you pull box might as well change it with new/reman.

Also does not produce great results if input shaft moves in and out, only way to tighten that is remove lock ring then turn cover in to preload bearings for worm gear. Good luck with that in the car and if you pull box might as well change it with new/reman.

it is a freshly re-manufactured box.. :)
I spoke with the shop and they have given me the green light to go ahead and make any adjustments needed.

I just have to recheck all front end components tonight and then tighten it up.
I changed it on the weekend and within a few hundred miles of driving starting to feel the wandering returning.

According to factory spec's it has .004" end play which is set to allow for cushioning of the steering column shaft while driving.

anyways, since I had the permission from the rebuilder to adjust away, I did to the tune of almost 3 full turns!

I now have about 1/4" free play at the outer rim of the steering wheel so i am stopping at that for now.

I will now have to get used to having a more responsive steering wheel :)

That's kind of what it mentions in FSM about setting it, temporary, then cycling and setting again. Good experience to remember info there.

i thought so top.

It took me a while to find any mention of it so I thought it would make for good work bench material to have handy

final update on this thread, I had to turn the screw in just under 3 full turns to get the steering wheel free play to just under 1/4" .
I am now ready for the road trip...

Belated update on this thread...
I discovered a ceased outer tie rod this past winter.
This was a definite contributor to the darting I experienced last year after installing the rebuilt box.
This other than the steering shaft oil leak was more than likely the problem and not the box itself
I'm actually backing off the sector adjuster to improve the stability of the drive to reduce the darting left to right wandering...
Its slowly coming along to now I'm happier with the relaxed float down the road feel.

U have to back off the sector u adjusted and adjust the input bearing preload That’s where the shaft enters it. Then adj the sector. That will take away ur wandering. Kim

Back