Steering boxes - Learning from scratch.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
To make as or better than new:
1. Are rebuild kits available? Never seen any.
2. Are parts available?
3. Can't it be done without special tools? If not, are they still available?

Thank you.
HatTipSmileyAnim.gif

Ill follow this closely BUT wouldn't it help to specify the year(s) you are interested in?
As you know my 70 300 has a leaky box so I've been looking and it seems like there are seal kits available in several forms. From partial to complete resealing jobs.
I'd love to know about the tools as well. Maybe someone has some they can post photos of? If they aren't too complicated I can repop them?

Ill follow this closely BUT wouldn't it help to specify the year(s) you are interested in?
I intentionally omitted any reference to years because in passenger vehicles there were only two designs: large sector and small sector and there is interchangeably.
Or so I think, hence the post. I'm ready to learn al there is about these boxes cuz ATC II is too hard. lol

I have one you can take apart & practice on for $20 plus shipping
Very much appreciated, Bob. If I'm gonna get greasy and use a lot of cuss words, I'll hold off a bit to see if I can scrounge up a cop box. Ever hopeful. Thanks kindly and I'm holding that thought on your offer. ☺️

Lares has pretty dependable units. I haven't had a bad one. The two that I bought years ago weren't for Chryslers.

I need to replace the input shaft seal on my PS box so I placed an order with Amazon. Then I see it's a week to get even with prime. I go to the advance page referenced here and I can't even see it on my phone. Why are all the effing car part store sites so effing impossible to navigate. Napa, AZ, AA, all three are horrible. So effing frustrating. DAMN IT !
Anyway the tool I'm supposed to use to remove the seal is C-3638. The tool I WILL use is C-drillandpickandpryandremove. You won't find it in the FSM.

Thanks everyone for the links to articles. Pretty much read most of them before but it's nice that we can compile them here all in one post.

Rebuilding a steering box is at least as hard as ATC 2.0, if not worse, and you would require special tools. And then it takes practice to get the feel just right. I would like to know what the rebuilders such as Steer & Gear and Firm Feel do to the steering shafts with gears to restore the original precision in on center feel? Someone needed to repop the steering shafts a long time ago. These old boxes will never feel anything close to a rack & pinion set up. And given the size of the older vehicles we generally drive, it would be nice to have ultmate precision in keeping it within the lanes and driving in traffic.

My 1997 Concorde steering precision couldn't be better, and makes the old stuff seem just terrible. Can place the Concorde exactly where I want it insantly and precisely.

To make as or better than new:
1. Are rebuild kits available? Never seen any.
2. Are parts available?
3. Can't it be done without special tools? If not, are they still available?

Thank you. View attachment 138995

I have a police box out of a 69 Polara pursuit special, T-code. Had no obvious signs of leaking when I pulled it out 20 years ago. The 69 police box has the short style connector on the input shaft. You would have to check to see if that is compatible with your application. The internals of the connector are long gone, but the housing is still on the shaft. If you want it $25 plus shipping. This vehicle never ran so I do not know much about the internal condition of the box.

Dave

I would say that the rebuild is actually quite easy if you just have some patience. I followed instructions from challenger work shop manual and really didn't need any special tools, just some improvising with basic tools. Just don't dismantle the ballscrew assembly and you should be fine.

If you want to stiffen the box feel, install two "reaction springs" in series (you can buy broken donor box for the extra springs). This is similar to the way firm wheel upgrades the boxes.

I can send the fsm pages regarding the steering box if needed.

I have a police box out of a 69 Polara pursuit special, T-code. Had no obvious signs of leaking when I pulled it out 20 years ago. The 69 police box has the short style connector on the input shaft. You would have to check to see if that is compatible with your application. The internals of the connector are long gone, but the housing is still on the shaft. If you want it $25 plus shipping. This vehicle never ran so I do not know much about the internal condition of the box.

Dave
Thank you.
Can you ID your box to which of the two as shown below?

manualboxes2.jpg
manualboxes1.jpg

I would say that the rebuild is actually quite easy if you just have some patience. I followed instructions from challenger work shop manual and really didn't need any special tools, just some improvising with basic tools. Just don't dismantle the ballscrew assembly and you should be fine.

If you want to stiffen the box feel, install two "reaction springs" in series (you can buy broken donor box for the extra springs). This is similar to the way firm wheel upgrades the boxes.

I can send the fsm pages regarding the steering box if needed.

Besides resealing your steering gear, and maybe adjusting the play, what else did you do in your rebuild since you didn't touch the ballscrew assembly. And what would you do if the slop in the gear was too much from worn teeth to reduce it to an acceptable level?

Besides resealing your steering gear, and maybe adjusting the play, what else did you do in your rebuild since you didn't touch the ballscrew assembly. And what would you do if the slop in the gear was too much from worn teeth to reduce it to an acceptable level?
Steve, you hit upon the gist of my thread. What's the sense of diving into these boxes if these parts are worn.
And the rebuilders. What do they do. Button them up with new seals and call them "rebuilt"

Back