Steering Wheel on 70 300 with tilt and telescopic

Makeawake

Reaction score
Hey Guys, just took the newest of our fleet the Black 1970 Vert out for it's inaugural drive. She is by far the tightest fuselage in the group! One thing has me a little confused is the steering column seems to be very crooked. It has tilt and telescopic steering. Anyone know whether this is a factory condition, or is something wrong?
70 300 steering.jpg

70 300 steering.jpg

Boy, do you need an alignment. Bad!
And don't let anyone tell you to pull the wheel and recenter it. That's not a fix.

I'm not talking about the alignment. I own an auto repair shop and do them all day long. I am talking about the column.

might be normal

I'm not talking about the alignment. I own an auto repair shop and do them all day long. I am talking about the column.

I had 2 '70 polara ragtops, they both had a column tilt to the left just like your car, although it did not seem quite as bad as that, but it may be my memory is a bit fuzzy there.

A better and true perspective would be a picture taken from the back seat.

Mark asked me about this when he had his 70's. Every 1970 Polara I have ever sat behind the wheel of has had an offset to the column. It leans towards the left. When I brought this to others attention they went and looked at their Monacos and Polaras and saw the same thing. I think its a 1970 C body thing.

After looking closer at the other two cars, it looks like they are all leaning to the left. It is just more apparent with the tilt and telescopic wheel.

Just sitting behind the wheel, look at the whole assembly and you can see it leaning that way.

Back