Steering wheel repair

c300g

Reaction score
The steering wheel in my 65 plymouth has some cracks and a chunk missing on top. I want to repair it but the problem is i HATE a painted steering wheel with a passion. I'd like to find a steering wheel in the same color (in bad shape of course) and break off some pieces of plastic. Grind up the plastic into a powder and use it to tint clear epoxy to match my steering wheel. Fill the voids with the tinted epoxy, sand, wet sand and polish smooth.
My question is will this work? has anyone tried this and had good results?
The steering wheel is reproduced but not in the color i need and that just goes back to my initial problem of hating painted steering wheels.

There is an outfit that makes repo steering wheels for these cars. I will look but maybe someone will chime in.

PG classics has a distribution center near me. i went there and looked. like i said, they do not make the right color for my car. mine is a light silvery blue, theirs is dark blue.

Sorry ,,just trying to help.

its alright. i appreciate it.
just trying to figure out what do to. i did look at the dark blue wheel and did consider it but at close to $400, too much to spend on the wrong part.

yeah, also out of the question. i make minimum wage, about $8.70 an hour. currently working 8-16 hours a week. a grand is WAY out of the question for a steering wheel.
Sorry. Didn't know your situation. Are you a student?

Sorry. Didn't know your situation. Are you a student?
no. but i should be. i had to drop out. i'm now stuck in an awkward position where i cant go back until my dental work is done. i still have another 2-3 years left.
i'm working retail for the time being until me procedure is complete. i hope by then, i'll know what i want to do.

My feeling is either drive it the way it is or put her away in storage . She will wait for you until you are in a better place. In your situation a steering wheel is not on the table. My opinion only.

My feeling is either drive it the way it is or put her away in storage . She will wait for you until you are in a better place. In your situation a steering wheel is not on the table. My opinion only.
i simply want to find out if a $20 tube of epoxy will last. pretty simple.

i simply want to find out if a $20 tube of epoxy will last. pretty simple.
No... but results may vary. What will you lose if you patch it now and restore it later when the numbers are in your favor? We all have made compromises to keep one on the road, knowing we wanted to come back to redo that item later... once in a while somebody even gets back and redoes whatever it was.

I'd just put a cover over the wheel 'till i have the money to have it restored.
This one has been on my car for years. Fortunately it has protected the wheel from sun damage. It matches the car so well i'll probably leave it on.
Attachment-1 (3).jpeg

i simply want to find out if a $20 tube of epoxy will last.
Yes it will. But look like crap.
Amhik. I've done it 3x now. Ea. time I tried to improve on the previous method.
The biggest problem by far is epoxy shrinkage. It looks "acceptable" when done. Six months later the repairs are very obvious.
I can't imagine a slurry of steering wheel dust and clear epoxy will be any better, but do it anyway for the amusement.

I'd just put a cover over the wheel 'till i have the money to have it restored.
This one has been on my car for years. Fortunately it has protected the wheel from sun damage. It matches the car so well i'll probably leave it on.
View attachment 114800
Put one of these on my Barracuda in the 80's and it is still there even after the restoration.

Alan

i went the jb weld route with mine. it held up well for a few months and then developed hair line cracks between the plastic and jb weld. on the other hand, i used rustoleum for plastic covered by several layers of lacquer. that is holding up well.
when the plastic wheel splits apart it distorts the wheel, so mine isn't perfectly round anymore. for a $30 investment i can't really complain.

sounds like i'll be going with plan b.... dum dum caulking! something to smooth things out yet completely and easily undone.

Back