Sticky lifter

I don't see why not, I would just protect exhaust manifolds from getting oil on them.

Well, spun it over a few times first thing this morning......everything looks kosher. (don't laugh....paper towels kept oil from getting on the manifolds,lol).
:laughing4:

IMG_9969.jpg

IMG_9968.jpg

IMG_9967.jpg

IMG_9966.jpg

Dude, gotta sleep, lol. Nah, I've been stopping and starting. I started getting into some other stuff under the hood....re-painting a few dirty parts and such....rewiring this and that.....amazing how much stuff you take on when you have everything else apart.

I hear you. I have multiple projects going on with my NYB. I'll get them done sooner or later.

Here's the noisy lifter........you'll noticed the bottom is "dished" shape. This is was the culprit...........the rest of them buggers were flat as a board

From what I see, your camshaft along with that lifter are both Junk. You can bet that whatever material is missing from that lifter is also missing from the cam. Cause? Hard to tell. Improper break-in, bad lifter, out of round or to tight lifter bore. One thing for sure is THAT lifter did not rotate.

I would agree and would say the affect it will have on performance probably won't be huge or even very noticeable. Was that an intake or exhaust?
just looked, intake. Hopefully the new lifter won't do the same and all you've lost is a little lift on that lobe.

Last edited:
I would of replaced the cam and all the lifters. And the timing gears/chain if it was original.

From what I see, your camshaft along with that lifter are both Junk. You can bet that whatever material is missing from that lifter is also missing from the cam. Cause? Hard to tell. Improper break-in, bad lifter, out of round or to tight lifter bore. One thing for sure is THAT lifter did not rotate.
I can almost guarantee the cause was the result of a top end run...should have taken my foot out of it sooner...the slight tapping sound occurred directly after that event. Never had the problem until then. Checked the push rods on glass table the other day.....all turned out to be dead end straight, no bends in the slightest amount.

I would agree and would say the affect it will have on performance probably won't be huge or even very noticeable. Was that an intake or exhaust?
just looked, intake. Hopefully the new lifter won't do the same and all you've lost is a little lift on that lobe.
Yup...intake. I spun it yesterday with just the starter motor.....everything looked kosher....neighbor came over with dial indicator...no loss of lift on the lobe with the damaged lifter. Lady luck be with me......for once?

Most excellent, happy motoring!

Back