Stormer's 67 Polara Build

Nope, that's where Ma put it. I just hadn't taken it off to sand yet in that photo.

Moving it would be a huge deal cuz the mounting location is stamped into the door skin.

I think I decided on black. I'm really sick of working on it though & will probly put her away for the year.

image.jpg

Just finish her so you can enjoy the hell out of her next summer!!!! I want to see how it turns out.

Ross, I know you have put a lot of effort in this and had a ton of fun with it.

My question is this....

What is durability of dip and will it last forever when you're done? How does touch up's look for repairing door dings as far as matching for fading over time? Speaking of fading...how does dip react to the sun and dirt? Will it peel when you wash it? Does the dip shrink or crack with subzero Ohio winter temps?

Seems like a huge expense if the durability isn't 100 percent there.

Ross, I know you have put a lot of effort in this and had a ton of fun with it.

My question is this....

What is durability of dip and will it last forever when you're done? How does touch up's look for repairing door dings as far as matching for fading over time? Speaking of fading...how does dip react to the sun and dirt? Will it peel when you wash it? Does the dip shrink or crack with subzero Ohio winter temps?

Seems like a huge expense if the durability isn't 100 percent there.
All great questions. Dip is actually very durable and has UV inhibitors so it won't fade. I've seen a bunch of photos of dipped cars that have been in accidents and the dip stays intact on a smashed up car.

Relistically though, I'll need to add a coat in three years or so. Or, at some point, I may just peel it & have it painted.

How much does it cost for enough material to do the Polara?

Ever considered to foil it instead ? Seen some good results, large selection of Colors even some Close to original Colors, saw a guy doing this instead of paint and looked good even in glossy colors.

How much does it cost for enough material to do the Polara?
About $300.

Ever considered to foil it instead ? Seen some good results, large selection of Colors even some Close to original Colors, saw a guy doing this instead of paint and looked good even in glossy colors.

Do you mean a vinyl wrap? I'm not familiar with foil.

The thing I love about the dip is that it allows me to do it myself, in my garage. Bragging rights...

Yeah, proper English seem to be Vinyl wrap, know a few who did this at home as well and it was way cheaper than paint even with a couple Trial and Errors.
Personally I will stick to paint, though. ;)

Yeah, proper English seem to be Vinyl wrap, know a few who did this at home as well and it was way cheaper than paint even with a couple Trial and Errors.
Personally I will stick to paint, though. ;)
I actually like vinyl but I could never pull it off myself.

I'm pretty tempted to learn to paint. I'm getting pretty good at spraying dip & I'm guessing that paint isn't that much harder to spray or possibly even easier. I just really like dip. The finished appearance, if done well, is very similar to a vinyl wrap.

I actually like vinyl but I could never pull it off myself.

I'm pretty tempted to learn to paint. I'm getting pretty good at spraying dip & I'm guessing that paint isn't that much harder to spray or possibly even easier. I just really like dip. The finished appearance, if done well, is very similar to a vinyl wrap.

Paint aint hard. It's all in the prep. Which you seem pretty adept at.

Back