Stupid wheel question...

moper

Reaction score
Eastern CT, 2 stoplight town, Columbia, CT
So I'm sort of in a jamb with the wheels on my '66 imperial. Seems the previous owner of the car did not own the wheels and tires on it. So I need to replace them.. So I want to make sure I get the right stuff...
What is the factory size and bolt circle? I thought they were 15x6, with a 5" bolt circle. In looking for potential non-Mopar alternatives it seems some places say they are 5.5" bolt circle.
So what's right? Anybody know what other makes/models might fit the car and accept the hubcaps?

Not just the stated wheel size, rim width, bolt circle, but ALSO the size of the "hole in the middle". You can measure the register circle on the rear axle brake drum (outside diameter). This is an additional "locating device" in addition to just the lug nut studs.

"Rent-A-Tire" strikes again?

CBODY67

I wouldn't have cared except I was only recently told he "needs them back". Before that it was only that they came from so-and-so. I'm almost to the point of trying to buy them from the guy who wants them back. The tires only hold air (somewhat) and it will need new ones anyway. But finding wheels is turning into a big challenge for some reason.

Direct from the 1966 Imperial FSM, page 22-6:

20180623_205028.jpg

20180623_205028.jpg

Last edited:
The wheels were of a unique design from other Chryslers in those years. Kind of like some of the older ('30s-'40s era wheels) than what came into use in '67. Could well be just '64-'66? The "L" in 15x6L denotes the shape and configuration of the wheel's bead edge (probably height), as do the "J" and other letter combinations like that.

CBODY67

The wheel is similar to the "artillery"-style wheels of the '30s and early '40s, but are not the same.
wvi-17-50050514_ml.jpg

The wheel below is a '60 - '66 Imperial steel 15" x 6" wheel:

imperial wheel.jpg

Last edited:
No dual bolt pattern. There are LOTS of possibilities with the artillery wheels pictured. Lots of rim diameters, rim widths, and backspacings. BUT the wheel covers won't fit with anything other than the 15" sizes, if at all.

CBODY67

The grey wheel is a repop dual-bolt-pattern wheel for 4-1/2" and 4-3/4". Note the black Imperial wheel, which in unique to Imperial and has no provision for a cop-style cap, or any other small cap.

When you know what you are looking for you can maybe get reproduction wheels from here.

Wheel Vintiques

Not your problem AFAIAC
I'm there... I had ONE transaction where the seller wanted to retrieve the wheels after the sale... I capitulated only because it was a "basket case" and he still had possession of most of the baskets. I at least got to return the favor, by holding the wheels hostage until the rest of the car was presented.

Looking at the service manual specs, "9/16 inch wheel stud size" might be an issue, too.

Raises the question of what wheels were on the car when it was purchased and what car will they be going back TO? Possibly some type of utility trailer?

CBODY67

I'll take a look shortly - broke the bush hog so I have to weld some parts back, and i'll be next to the car doing that. I don't recall what wheels are on it visually speaking. If they look like those factory ones I'll press to just pay the real owner for them. Easiest is best for me right now...lol.

If the previous owner didn’t own the wheels he had no right to sell them and it’s now moper’s problem. It’s like if you buy a stolen car without knowing it and it gets recovered, you’re just SOL.

However the PO sold under false pretenses should be paying some money back.

Have you gone to the imperial group page in Yahoo! Groups? Someone there might have a set

It all worked out. Plus the wheels are less of an issue now that I've found a few more rust issues I want to address and that will take a little timer to get taken care of. I wish this car fit in my garage... I may need to buy a tarp garage just to get the paint work done...lol.

Murray Park should have wheels,He is in Ohio

Back