Superlite

Right now the low beams go on as normal. Switch the Superlite on and nothing.
Click the high beams on, lows and highs are on. Switch the Superlite on and the high beams go out. That is what it is supposed to do.
It is the low beam operation or lack of Superlite operating while just in low beam that is incorrect.

There are two added relays, not just the one.
I guess that would be so you can control the Superlite with the dimmer switch. Driving around... all happy because you're in your big Dodge with the Superlite on and there comes an oncoming car. Hit the dimmer and the Superlite goes off. Car passes, hit the dimmer and the Superlite comes back on.

No, SL should only be on with the lows. If the SL is on and you hit the high beams the SL should go off.

Right now the low beams go on as normal. Switch the Superlite on and nothing.
Click the high beams on, lows and highs are on. Switch the Superlite on and the high beams go out. That is what it is supposed to do.
Just lurking here and learned something new since I always thought that the SL was supposed to be inoperable with the highs on and should only work with the lows on.

Switch the Superlite on and the high beams go out.
Sorry Dave, this is the function I was unaware of. I didn't think the SL switch had any effect on high beam function and simply would not work if the highs were on. What you are saying makes sense now that I think about it. So if you have the highs on will hitting the SL dash switch result in the lows with SL coming on?

Sorry Dave, this is the function I was unaware of. I didn't think the SL switch had any effect on high beam function and simply would not work if the highs were on. What you are saying makes sense now that I think about it. So if you have the highs on will hitting the SL dash switch result in the lows with SL coming on?
From my recollection of the wagon, that would be correct.

I believe so Fred, yes.

So, who has an origial superlite car ?

I have original superlite on 69 Polara 500 convertible. One wire goes to grounding and other to the firewall connector but position you need to figure out from the picture, sorry. Its second to the right top side.

Regarding functionality, at least in my case you need to switch from the low beam to high beam with the dimmer on the floor and then the superlite turns on, if switch is ON. Turning super lite OFF will bring highbeams ON and vice versa.

Super lite is not activated just with the switch turning ON while running low beams and I think it makes sense. You are driving in the middle of the night with high beams and just with the dash swich you activate superlite until the opposite side traffic pass.

20200502_101600.jpg

View attachment 372841

20200502_101708.jpg

20200502_120059.jpg

Last edited:
I have original superlite on 69 Polara 500 convertible. One wire goes to grounding and other to the firewall connector but position you need to figure out from the picture, sorry. Its second to the right top side.

Regarding functionality, at least in my case you need to switch from the low beam to high beam with the dimmer on the floor and then the superlite turns on, if switch is ON. Turning super lite OFF will bring highbeams ON and vice versa.

Super lite is not activated just with the switch turning ON while running low beams and I think it makes sense. You are driving in the middle of the night with high beams and just with the dash swich you activate superlite until the opposite side traffic pass.

View attachment 372839

View attachment 372841

View attachment 372842

View attachment 372843

:thankyou:

Going by your operation description it sounds like mine is operating as it should.
Low beams on, if i switch the Superlite toggle to on , nothing happens. It is only when i hit the high beam switch on the floor that the Superlite activates ( if the toggle is in the on position).

I wonder what changed between 69 & 70 to relocate the power wire? If I remove the fuse block it reveals no power source to the location of the connecting point to which your power wire is connected AND where the service manual says to it should be .

Again thank you... I will take photos a bit later to show the lack of power supply inside the bulkhead.

:thankyou::thankyou:

I never would've thought it worked that way. Makes sense actually. I know sometimes I wish I had one more brightness level on my headlights, or the driving lights would stay on with the high beams.
Great info, looks like you're getting closer Dave..:thumbsup:

View attachment 372839

View attachment 372841

View attachment 372842

View attachment 372843

Ummmm aren't you forgetting something? More pics of your car! Looks gorgeous!:lol::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This shows how rare this factory option is. With 7000 members ONE has an original Superlite car.
I appreciate all comments, I think this is a topic that needs to be addressed and documented for future problem solving .:thankyou:

:thankyou:

Going by your operation description it sounds like mine is operating as it should.
Low beams on, if i switch the Superlite toggle to on , nothing happens. It is only when i hit the high beam switch on the floor that the Superlite activates ( if the toggle is in the on position).

I wonder what changed between 69 & 70 to relocate the power wire? If I remove the fuse block it reveals no power source to the location of the connecting point to which your power wire is connected AND where the service manual says to it should be .

Again thank you... I will take photos a bit later to show the lack of power supply inside the bulkhead.

:thankyou::thankyou:

I´m happy to help :thumbsup: Btw speaking of wiring, mine is all original, not giving me any troubles. I have only added relays to give some relief to headlight switch, but I´m thinking new wiring as a next bigger investment on the list. Its +50 year old so perhaps its good idea. I do have a fire extinguisher in the car and quick switch to kill installed on the battery, if something goes wrong. Or shall I just start to deal with the problems only once they appear?

Ummmm aren't you forgetting something? More pics of your car! Looks gorgeous!:lol::thumbsup::thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, there is short walk around video after first startup this year :usflag:

Unless, you can find a NOS harness like I did you will likely pull the current harness and have it mimicked by a good wire guy.

( but what do I know)

I personally would leave it as is. I too frequently disconnect my battery when she's sitting in the garage . Even if it is overnight.

Unless, you can find a NOS harness like I did you will likely pull the current harness and have it mimicked by a good wire guy.

( but what do I know)

I personally would leave it as is. I too frequently disconnect my battery when she's sitting in the garage . Even if it is overnight.

Thanks for comment, problem solved - I will leave as it is until some issues will occur :) I disconnect the battery every time I´m leaving the car in the garage too, to prevent any troubles.

Back