Superlite

Can anyone else just reach in their 69 flip SL switch on at the panel with no key, car off and have SL come on provided the floor dimmer is on low beam and headlight switch still in off position?

Can anyone else just reach in their 69 flip SL switch on at the panel with no key, car off and have SL come on provided the floor dimmer is on low beam and headlight switch still in off position?
I dont know how the 69's are wired, but for the 70's the super light should only be able to come on with the headlight switch turned on, superlite switch on and the dimmer switch in the "high beam" position.

the head lights can be on with the key off. And since the the super light is fed by the same circuit as the dome lights the superlite and headlights can be on with the key in the off position.

I own a car which is equipped with a super lite

2019_05_01_4025032-40259981218.jpg

On top of getting the superlite in and working there was a bunch of other work that was completed over winter on this polara. One being new rear springs with a 1" increase in height as well as new tires. The car was also aligned. below are some pictures I took to illustrate how the beam appears:

Low beams, idling at 750:
low beam.jpg

Low beam with superlite on, idling at 750:
low beam w superlite.jpg

Here is a picture with it on in the garage:
garage.jpg

As mentioned above the lights are not aimed. Ill take another photo when I get them aimed. I am also in the process of getting a headlight relay kit made to include the superlite to be run directly off the alternator or battery. The bulb is the new custom one that @slantsixdan had made here

HOLY SHNIKEYS THATS COOL, HOPE TO GET MINE AIMED PROPERLY THIS TIME WHEN I GET HOME. PLEASE POST AN PIC. ON WHAT YOU DO WITH HEADLIGHT RELAY KIT I REALLY WANT TO DO MINE TO AND RELEIVE SOME MORE CURRENT OUT OF THE DASH. CURIOUS AS TO WHAT BATTERY YOUR USING, I'M GOING TO BE GETTING A NEW ONE SOON BUT HAVEN'T DECIDED WHAT I WANT YET.

So I was finally able to finish up the lighting upgrade on the polara. It involved getting a custom headlight harness made by Rob Yule that included a third relay to run the superlite directly off of the alternator. I used headlights spec'd out by @slantsixdan at Daniel Stern Lighting. I also followed his tech tip on how to aim headlights here, and used this article on how to aim the superlite:

superlite aim.jpg

It worked out really well!! I have done some night driving and the light is pretty useful. I have not done much highway stuff with it but will in the next couple weeks. here are some pictures with the superlite on and off at the end of my street:

On
IMG_1045.jpg

off:
IMG_1043.jpg

again this is with the bulb that @slantsixdan had made. I provided a link in post 84. But if that link gets broken I believe you just take a good H3 bulb, remove it from its base and place into the superlite bulb's base. you move that bulb further out and in the base to get the proper focal length. For future reference if anyone actually tries this the beam should be able 8 inches high when the car is 25 ft from a wall.

IMG_1038.jpg

So I was finally able to finish up the lighting upgrade on the polara. It involved getting a custom headlight harness made by Rob Yule that included a third relay to run the superlite directly off of the alternator. I used headlights spec'd out by @slantsixdan at Daniel Stern Lighting. I also followed his tech tip on how to aim headlights here, and used this article on how to aim the superlite:

View attachment 540423

It worked out really well!! I have done some night driving and the light is pretty useful. I have not done much highway stuff with it but will in the next couple weeks. here are some pictures with the superlite on and off at the end of my street:

On
View attachment 540427

off:
View attachment 540428

again this is with the bulb that @slantsixdan had made. I provided a link in post 84. But if that link gets broken I believe you just take a good H3 bulb, remove it from its base and place into the superlite bulb's base. you move that bulb further out and in the base to get the proper focal length. For future reference if anyone actually tries this the beam should be able 8 inches high when the car is 25 ft from a wall.

View attachment 540449

Very useful link about headlight aiming, thanks! This is not discussed much and many older cars are never aimed correctly.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I don't think I have seen this 2012 article on the superlite. Note the (Michigan-based T-code, if it is the car that I think it is) EB7 1970 Polara 'vert in the photo:

bemorelight-06.jpg

I don't think I have seen this 2012 article on the superlite. Note the (Michigan-based T-code, if it is the car that I think it is) EB7 1970 Polara 'vert in the photo:

View attachment 562853
"a specific grille insert" is misleading language in the article. For 1970 the plastic left grill piece comes molded with a hole for the light assembly with its own part #. Also not specifically mentioned in the article is that the mounting hardware for 69 and 70 does not interchange.

Back