Suspension parts!!!

68bbwagon

Reaction score
So I just got a big chunk of change and I'm ordering a new firmfeel steering box, and tubular upper control arms, and the reinforcement plates for the lower control arms. Has anyone ever had any experience with the steering box and tubular upper control arms???

I had the steering box on my Polara rebuilt & they replaced the rubber bushing with a a metal u-joint. I haven't driven it yet but I know that is has zero slop in it.

As far as control arms, I can't see how tubular uppers would make any noticeable difference.

FF's tubular uppers apparently have additional positive caster built in, so no need for offset bushings or wrestling with camber-caster trade-off when adjusting alignment. Other than that, no appreciable difference IMO. As for their steering box, I've only heard good things...bit out of my price range unfortunately.

I'd for go the tubular upper control arms....unless you plan on lower the car drastically and running big tires to road race. I think you would be better off getting the big C-body front sway bar. I put the 1.125" bar on my wagon and think it's one of the best upgrades I have done. The lower control arm braces are fine, adn the steering box's I've heard nothing but good things.

They can be a bit slow on getting orders out...think I waited 8 weeks to get my sway bar. They usually run stuff in batches. So if they are out of stock when your order comes in they might wait for a few more people to want that same part as you before having them made and then shipping it out.

Some A-body guys who installed tubular UCA's were unhappy as they cracked, and they are very expensive. I agree that other than getting more caster, they offer no advantage, and probably minimal weight savings if any. The UCA experiences minimal forces. Indeed, my upper ball joints weren't worn at all, so I re-used them w/ new dust covers. I wonder if boxing the bottom of the LCA is necessary or wise. If I hit a curb hard, I would rather have the UCA bend and absorb the force than have my strut rod pull thru the K-frame.

Barring a catastrophic meeting head-on with a freight train, I have never heard of a factory upper or lower control arm breaking. Probably the most over-engineered items in any car. Nothing wrong with them. If they're not cool enough for you, chrome them....

Back