Taking the bench seat out

MarPar

Meat Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I need to take the front bench seat out of the Newport ('69 2-door hardtop).

Is it as easy and straightforward as it looks? 4 bolts and it's out? I checked the FSM, and it really doesn't say much.

it's a manual bench with no armrest if it matters. she's got a leak somewheres that I haven't chased down quite yet.

DSC04437.jpg

DSC04438.jpg

DSC04439.jpg

also, is the rear seat the same as a b-body? push in and down on the bottom part and lifts out?

lastly, Ive only found that Dante's and Herb's has the die-cut carpet for a Sea-body for around a buck sixty...im inclined to get it from Dante's cuz i've had good experiences with them, but are there other options?

thank you kindly,
Mario

DSC04437.jpg

DSC04438.jpg

DSC04439.jpg

Call them. They had one for my 70 300, so they should have one for your Newport.

sooooo....big day today! my g-friend and I stripped almost the whole interior out.

and guess what I found...not one, but two broadcast sheets!!! i just about sh*t! I've never actually found one un-disturbed before, much less two!! :yaayy:

took the one out of the bottom of the front seat and left the one in the bottom of the backseat in. I think I would destroy it if I took it out. checked em both out, and they are both for my Newport!!

pics...

DSC04442.jpg

DSC04444.jpgDSC04448.jpgDSC04452.jpgDSC04454.jpg

going to give the windshield and cowl a good soaking tomorrow to see where the leak is coming from.

the Crispyness continues...

DSC04442.jpg

DSC04444.jpg

DSC04448.jpg

DSC04452.jpg

DSC04454.jpg

lol

no no, it's something more conspicuous...THE MOLDY STENCH!!! oof.

and for the record, the headliner is nice and taught. but unfortunately, that's probably going to have to come out too.

going to give the 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol trick a shot first and see if it helps

DSC04463.jpg

DSC04463.jpg

I sprayed the bottom of the backseat with the 50/50 mix last night and it seemed to take some of the stench away. so I resprayed it earlier today hoping it will all come out.

also, I buffed out the door sill trim...not perfect, but a helluva lot better!

DSC04464.jpgDSC04465.jpgDSC04466.jpg

DSC04464.jpg

DSC04465.jpg

DSC04466.jpg

It usually starts like something was loose so I fixed that, and in order to get to it I had to take the interior apart.

and before long..

Toe bone connected to the foot bone
Foot bone connected to the heel bone
Heel bone connected to the ankle bone
Ankle bone connected to the shin bone
Shin bone connected to the knee bone
Knee bone connected to the thigh bone
Thigh bone connected to the hip bone
Hip bone connected to the back bone
Back bone connected to the shoulder bone
Shoulder bone connected to the neck bone
Neck bone connected to the head bone
Now hear the word of the Lord.

The Lord is usually the wife :poke:

I got the carpet for the Admiral from http://www.autoobsession.com/carpetcolors.aspx

I installed it last week and was very happy with the quality and fit. (see thread in "mopar wagons). Cost was $141.00 shipped.
Best to call and verify your application.

Even with a good fitting carpet it still requires a lot of work and fitting around seat, seat belt mounts, dimmer switch etc.
A good tip when installing, allow the carpet to lay in the sun for a short time before laying it on your floor, (A sound deadner will make a huge difference in the drive quality of your car). Remount and bolt down your front seat before trimming the carpet at the sills. Bolting the seat down will pull the carpet away a little and if you trim and install your sills you could risk pulling the carpet out from under the sill plate. Install the sill plates last.

Looks like your doing a nice job, Keep the pictures coming. Good luck. And remember...... It's a good thing this is fun....!

Will.

took out the rest of the interior today...
DSC04490.jpg

DSC04483.jpg

Cleaned it up...

DSC04494.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

soon, she will be mold-free...

DSC04490.jpg

DSC04483.jpg

DSC04494.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

I need to take the front bench seat out of the Newport ('69 2-door hardtop).

Is it as easy and straightforward as it looks? 4 bolts and it's out? I checked the FSM, and it really doesn't say much.

it's a manual bench with no armrest if it matters. she's got a leak somewheres that I haven't chased down quite yet.

View attachment 51988

View attachment 51989

View attachment 51990

also, is the rear seat the same as a b-body? push in and down on the bottom part and lifts out?

lastly, Ive only found that Dante's and Herb's has the die-cut carpet for a Sea-body for around a buck sixty...im inclined to get it from Dante's cuz i've had good experiences with them, but are there other options?

thank you kindly,
Mario

I know that ACC (Auto Custom Carpet) makes carpet to fit your car. Wide selection of colors, weights, styles and backings.
I think if you look around on the web and compare descriptions it becomes obvious that ACC is making carpet for a lot of the other "Upholstery and Trim" suppliers selling on line.
The price they list is full retail. If you have a business tax id number and have a small restoration shop in your garage
you can probably open an account. Opening discount is around 50%.

Back