Tallhair's New Hides for the Durango Thread - Opinions sought and welcome

+1 bfg all terrain T/As

I love the look of those but they seem to rate lower in most categories than the others.

upload_2016-4-14_9-45-27.png

on a 97 dodge 1500 i did spin once on a wet off ramp the *** came out from under it...maybe hydroplaned or whatever. on my 2010 nitro i loved them and never lost gription.

i do get them rotated all the time every 5k or so. i burned thru a set once by not rotating them frequently enough.

and im a fanboi. there are probably better tires. but you got to put them white side out and roll them :) big pimpin baby.

I can't speak from personal experience because I lean toward off road traction more then quiet ride because of how I use my truck but my Father-in-law swears by the Firestone Destination's. Not sure which one he buys but he really likes them. I don't know how long Firestone has been selling the LE2's but they are that tire or the tire that the LE2 replaced. I'm sure his next set will be the LE2's.

I will say to avoid TireRack.com and I would be cautious of any online discount tire retailer. My bother use to buy all his tires from TireRack. I showed him how to find the date on the tires and the last two sets he got before he quit using them were both over two years old when he received them. They buy overruns at discounted rates, that's how they undercut other dealers. I don't like the idea of buying "new" two year old tires for my daily drivers.

I can't speak from personal experience because I lean toward off road traction more then quiet ride because of how I use my truck but my Father-in-law swears by the Firestone Destination's. Not sure which one he buys but he really likes them. I don't know how long Firestone has been selling the LE2's but they are that tire or the tire that the LE2 replaced. I'm sure his next set will be the LE2's.

I will say to avoid TireRack.com and I would be cautious of any online discount tire retailer. My bother use to buy all his tires from TireRack. I showed him how to find the date on the tires and the last two sets he got before he quit using them were both over two years old when he received them. They buy overruns at discounted rates, that's how they undercut other dealers. I don't like the idea of buying "new" two year old tires for my daily drivers.

Thanks Shooter

I was checking about a week ago for the ram and they were about $15 a corner cheaper than anywhere else I looked. Ha. Course my Ram is a tad older than your Durango.

I was checking about a week ago for the ram and they were about $15 a corner cheaper than anywhere else I looked. Ha. Course my Ram is a tad older than your Durango.

Actually they were $76 per corner plus shipping so maybe a little cheaper. 1 shipped was $86 ... don't know if shipping 4 would cost more than one or not. If not then $314 would be $25 cheaper.

The Durango 4x4 at Summit is 76 for 2 and $99 for the other 2 with free shipping ... So about $340

shocks.jpg

$335.30 shipped from Amazon

upload_2016-4-14_14-5-41.png

Of course I could buy the fronts from Amazon and the rears from Summit and then it's be $322 :)

If you ask, they can get a better date code from tire rack. I've bought several sets of odd ball sized tires that normal tire stores had zero access to. If you can spring for the Michelin tires, you will be happy in the long run. They wear great, and might be the last tire you buy for the truck. Years ago, when I sold tires, we got to study them a little more in depth. The majority of a tire cost is in building the case. Take a unmounted Michelin and what ever brand you want to compare it with, lay it down on the ground & step on it - putting your full weight on it. Most of the tires will start to fold or collapse. You'll be surprised how much beefier the Michelin is.

If you ask, they can get a better date code from tire rack. I've bought several sets of odd ball sized tires that normal tire stores had zero access to. If you can spring for the Michelin tires, you will be happy in the long run. They wear great, and might be the last tire you buy for the truck. Years ago, when I sold tires, we got to study them a little more in depth. The majority of a tire cost is in building the case. Take a unmounted Michelin and what ever brand you want to compare it with, lay it down on the ground & step on it - putting your full weight on it. Most of the tires will start to fold or collapse. You'll be surprised how much beefier the Michelin is.

good to know about getting the best date code and thanks for the info on Michelin ... always heard they were really well built tires

I have BF Goodrich T/A's on the Half ton, and they work great, without any real noise issues. I took the Michelins off my truck at 900 Miles. They wear well and are quiet, but they are crappy in the snow. (2012 Ram 3500) I slid more than once thru an Intersection, that was it for me. I use Nitto's now, and they are a very high quality tire. And the truck does not slide around anymore.

I had the 'stoner Destinations on a 2004 Dakota Quad cab 2-wheel drive. I liked them very much. They were quieter than the O.E. Goodyears and good snow traction, even when there was a lot of it during some mid-west winters.

Just try this... pick a specific tire, and call the local Ford dealer about price. They will have a Roadforce balancer and will put tires on anything. They might whine about the incorrect size thing. I have had ford dealers live up to the tire price match thing many times on my cars and for family and friends.

BTW... in the shop days, we always used Michelins to solve ride problems... but you have to be careful which you pick... your tire rack research is about as good as it gets.

Just a for wiw...
I recently mounted a full set of these on my F150.
New tires don't impress me much. They are like gin. I can't taste a major difference.
But these really impressed me.
End of babbling. ☺

Tallhair, if you were looking for a stock size replacement. I run these on several vehicles and am extremely pleased...
trans.gif

LTX M/S2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/modalbox_perfcatdefinition.jsp?perfCat=HAS
Size: P235/75R15
  • Sidewall Style: Outlined White Letters
  • Load Range: XL Max. Load= 2,183 lbs
    Max psi= 50 psi">
  • Serv. Desc: 108T Load Index 108= 2205lbs (1000kg) per tire
    Speed Rating “T”= 118mph (190kph)">
  • UTQG: 720 A A
In Florida, these are great. They have middle of the road reviews for snow however. That said, I use the UTQG more than I use the consumer reviews. This tire has top ratings for treadwear, temperature and traction. Then I look at consumer reviews, and tire rack seems to have the quantity of information to do this easily. My chief concern was wet traction (it rains here).

All of this is a bit flawed, but is the best I know how to handle the issue. Now the F-ed up part is the tire lines are very different, but similar in name. The Michelin LTX A/T 2 is rated 500 A B... which really sucks in comparison to the one above. This one doesn't rate very well for wet traction either.

I would recommend you check the ratings of the tire line in a passenger size with UTQG ratings to help you make your final decision. In all honesty, without experience with the tire, you really won't know how much you're going to like it.

Back